DF140 will not start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF140 will not start

My freshly serviced 140 was dropped in last week and is having issues starting. At first it turned over and ran for another two minutes before starting to sputter out and die. We had to prime the engine with the bulb (which is hard) as we motored in order to get the motor to work long enough to get to the slip.

I did change the water/fuel separator assembly and filter prior to dropping it in, but I was sure to flood the filter and pumped/primed the fuel line with the bulb to ensure no air in the line.

The motor will not start at all now and if it finally catches after a few seconds of the starter working it dies immediately after that. I called the dealer and they said it could be bad gas and for me to pull the boat out and take it back to them to have a look but I really don’t want to go through the trouble of getting a tow back to the ramp, not to mention having to wait 3 weeks for them to get to me. Please help.
    Last edited by ymelnic1; 07-25-2021, 05:42 PM.

I should also mention that the boat ran fine before the service and has not sat very long between uses. Not longer than a week. I also installed new batteries before dropping her in.

Comment

Can you confirm that Low Pressure fuel pump is in good and working condition?

Comment

Check all your electrical connections, I’m thinking the shop either forgot to plug a connection back in or didn’t fully seat a connector or possibly inadvertently knocked one loose. Same with the fuel system, check all connections and clamps.

Comment

I have checked all the wiring and all seems to have a good connection. I will be replacing the "manual pump" today to see if that's the culprit. The tachometer that came with the boat is a 1988 model TELEFLEX and it does not have oil, check engine, etc. lights so I cannot get an error reading at all. I have ordered a diagnostic cable and software to get a read on the engine to see if it's throwing codes. I really hate to start throwing $ at parts for it, but I figure the pump will have to be replaced at some point anyways. The high pressure pump seems to be activating when the key is turned as I hear a low buzzing sound from inside the engine.

I did try to start it up again last night and on first try it turns over and runs for about 10 seconds or so, then sputters out and dies. Second try it starts up for about 5 seconds. Third try for a few, and that's it.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by ymelnic1; 07-27-2021, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Switched out the fuel pump and same result. It ran for about 20 seconds and sputtered out with tons of air (or exhaust - I'm guessing) bubbles coming from the lower end. I tried cycling though a few more times in case there was more air in the system, but I don't want to burn the starter out.

Comment

Attached is the diagnostic and read from the service one month ago. Also services rendered. I'm at a loss here...
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X