Vapor Seperation Tank (VST) Overflow 2015 175 Suzuki DF175TL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vapor Seperation Tank (VST) Overflow 2015 175 Suzuki DF175TL

Was having an issue with the port side midsection of my motor leaking fuel. It started out as a small drip and is now coming out at a steady stream.
    I had a mechanic replace the needle assembly and the float assembly this week. When I went to test run the motor again it was still leaking fuel.
    It was only running for 1 minute before I shut the motor off. Is it possible there was still fuel in the evaporation/overflow line that was purging itself from the system? If I just let the boat run longer will all the fuel in the line run out?
    Thanks.

If it was still running out in a steady stream after the repair, I wouldn't expect it to just be purging fuel that was left in the line. It's still not sealing at the float valve.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Start it up on the muffs and have a look and see if it is coming from the drain on the bottom of the vst, or from the high pressure outlet going to the filter, you should be able to see exactly where it is coming from, and if you pull the vapor line off the top of the vst you will know straight away if fuel starts coming out the top.
      Most of the time people don't even know that the vst is over flowing until their oil level is high and they can smell fuel in the oil. On late engines the fuel will flow into the purge line, and drawn into the engine making it run rich.

Comment

Originally posted by Harper View Post
        If it was still running out in a steady stream after the repair, I wouldn't expect it to just be purging fuel that was left in the line. It's still not sealing at the float valve.
        Yeah I took the VST off the motor and disassembled and the float hinge was warped causing the float to sit too high. I fixed the float hinge and now the float is back into spec. Hopefully the float closes now when the tank fills with fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by redlowrey View Post
          Start it up on the muffs and have a look and see if it is coming from the drain on the bottom of the vst, or from the high pressure outlet going to the filter, you should be able to see exactly where it is coming from, and if you pull the vapor line off the top of the vst you will know straight away if fuel starts coming out the top.
          Most of the time people don't even know that the vst is over flowing until their oil level is high and they can smell fuel in the oil. On late engines the fuel will flow into the purge line, and drawn into the engine making it run rich.
          The fuel is coming out of the mid section on the opposite side of the motor. No fuel was leaking out of the VST itself.
          After disassembling the VST it appears the float was messed up and sitting too high. I dropped the float down to the correct height so hopefully that fixes the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Harper View Post
            It appears that you were more or less correct. When the mechanic replaced the float valve he replaced the needle valve but on the needle seat, even though it comes as one piece. Looking at the seat it appeared the oring was shot.
            After replacing both pieces of the float value, the needle seat was much harder to install since the oring was doing its job, I no longer have a fuel leak.

Lesson learned and it appears it was just a 10 cent piece causing my issues.

Comment

Working...
            X