1983 dt 115 only firing on cyl’s 2&4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1983 dt 115 only firing on cyl’s 2&4

Hi there how can I troubleshoot this issue of firing on only 2 cyl’s out of the four. Could it be the cdi? Or trigger coils?

I would pull the plugs, and verify you are getting good/equal/no fire at each plug first. If not equal fire, investigate why. Try swapping plugs first, I've bought bad plugs right out of the box? Then I would test each coil (both sides) per manual. You have 4 coils, if 2 are working check voltage going to each coil from CDI. If no voltage to 2 coils, I would look at the output from the magneto, to see if the #1 & #3 firing/trigger sensors are good, per manual.

Remember, If you have no spark on 2 cyls, is the motor in safe-mode? Wiring/ground problem, or might be heat sensor, oil flow switch, neutral switch? Test each of these parts, per the manual? Most wiring problems could be corrosion/connections, even plug connectors might not be good connection to the wires.

Good luck, post back on what you find out.

Comment

Sorry for taking so long. It seemed to
      fix itself or me unplugging all the plugs and wires made a better connection. Now I need to figure why it’s getting one long beep at the motor. There is no monitor or gauge that came with this motor. Just the controls. And the kill switch doesn’t kill the motor when pulled off.

Comment

Sounds like you have some dirty connections on wires/plugs? Maybe even ground connections. Make sure all wiring connections are clean and tight, from the motor all the way to the controls.

Good luck, post back and let us know how it went.

Comment

Working...
        X