Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki DF250A runs good and then dies

Good Morning All,

I have a 2002 2800 hydra sports boat with twin 2018 DF250 engines. The boat seems to run great until I stop somewhere for a while and start back up. It will usually run for 3-5 minutes and then die. I get 3 beeps when it shuts down. I took it to my local Suzuki dealer for repair. They called me and told I had a bad fuel pump and oxygen sensor and the fuel injectors needed to be cleaned out. Only part of the work was covered under the extended warranty.

I picked the boat up and took it out the same day (this past Friday). Boat did the exact same thing. Ran great for about 12 miles. Stopped for lunch. Got back in the boat and fired it up and started idling out. Within a few minutes the starboard engine dies. I got back home on the port motor which has no issues. I did try to restart the starboard motor a couple of times on the way in but it would just fire up and die within probably 30 seconds.

Yesterday a buddy of mine came out with me and the exact same thing happened. ran the boat out. Stopped for lunch and engine dies as we are leaving. We pulled over to a safe spot pulled the cowling off. Had no idea what the hell we were looking at and put the cowling back on. This time the motor does restart and runs the rest of the day ok. Stopped and started maybe a half a dozen times no issues. When the motor runs it runs great. When the 2 engines are idling the starboard motor maybe shakes a little more than the port but this might just be in my head.

The boat stays in a in and out storage and is quite a chore to get back and forth to the dealer. Plus I think the completely misdiagnosed it the first time. I am guessing maybe a bad primer bulb or something like that. I have found a few people with the same issue on these boats but none have ever been resolved with a clear solution. I appreciate any help.

UPDATE: I decided to check the primer bulbs and when I disconnected it from the fuel line going to the engine I found the lining in the fuel line was coming apart and clogging the line. Not sure why this was not checked at the dealer. Should I demand a refund for the work done or just take it as a life lesson? They charged me $415 for the repair or lack there of?

Comment

From the symptoms you were describing, anyone that recommended cleaning injectors, and replacing the 02 sensor has got no idea, put it down to experience and don't go back there.
      One. when the engine started to run out of fuel, it will run lean sending the 02 sensor voltage low. the ecu will see this and if it cant change the fuel trim and richen the fuel it will log the information in its memory,
      the tech should have seen this and could see that the engine had been running lean and there was a problem in the fuel delivery. A faulty 02 sensor will not stop the engine from running.

2 Dirty fuel injectors don't produce those sought of symptoms.

Comment

Working...
      X