starter motor clicks but won't turn the motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter motor clicks but won't turn the motor

single 2020 df200atx2 outboard - starter motor issue - occasionally the motor won't turn over, we just hear a click from the starter solenoid. It tries to enagage but for some reason it does have enough power to turn the motoro. We have same voltage to the solenoid positive side as from the battery positive side. the motor is not seized as we can turn the flywheel counter clockwise. The fuel pump energizes but the starter motor just clicks. any ideas? battery is for sure good and charged.....

Update to above post, I first eliminated the battery (perko) switch from the circuit and still we have power to the starter but starter won't crank the motor, it moves up into position but won't turn the motor. I took the starter motor off and tested with the battery and it worked fine. put it back on and same results, audible click is heard when I turn the key to start position. This is intermittent also, I had the same thing happen when trying to launch a week ago, put it back on the trailer and went to auto shop to check the battery, it's fully charged. Drove home and put in the tank at home and motor started right up and ran no issues. Tried it in the tank today and getting the "click" but no starting. Fuel pump comes on each time no problems...could it be a bad solenoid? BTW, the parts schematic calls it a switch assembly and not a solenoid???

Comment

In my years with most motors, clicking sound is battery. Whether it's terminals or voltage. Do you have jumper cables? Try them. I know you said auto place tested it. Takes about ten minutes to try it.

Comment

Intermittent is the term you used. Check all electrical connections, 2020 they should be clean but are they tight? Vibrate home on the trailer and it starts at home. Something is loose or a battery issue. Have you had the battery load tested?

Comment

Working...
        X