Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin 2018 DF250AP Engine Interface Problem

Hello all,

I am having an issue with detecting two separate Engine Interfaces while using my C10 gauges. It seems that I can detect both of the interfaces but they only take up one device on the device list and bounce back and forth between each other at their own will. The only issue I am presented with is that it is not calculating fuel burn properly. .... It is only calculating fuel burn for one engine at a time rather than both at the same time resulting in about half the consumption of what it really should be.

Here is a link to a facebook post where I uploaded a video.... https://www.facebook.com/groups/5266...eric&ref=notif

I would like to try upgrading the interfaces through the C10. What is the best SW version to use and where can I download it.

Thank you,
    Paul

https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...a2000-networks

If you haven’t already read this , should point you in the right direction

Comment

Your link is to a private facebook page so we cant see it. If you want it to be visible to others upload it to utube or dropbox and post a link.

Anyway, with 2018 engines, the interfaces need to be running Interface software version 3.5.4 or 3.5.7. The earlier version 3.5.0 had stability issues and was replaced with 3.5.4 and then later the current version is 3.5.7. But 3.5.4 would be fine.

Read the sticky thread Murray linked and the attached info paper. You will particularly note that the initial setup and configuration has to be done correctly, eg:

1. Boat setup as 2 engines/x tanks to match what you have, then
      2. Each engine interface configured correctly and locations set as starboard and port respectively.

So verify that this setup is correct.

Then, check what software versions your interfaces are running. Open the device list and select each Suzuki and open it, you can see the software version listed. If its 3.5.4 they should be fine. If its 3.5.0 then its worth upgrading to 3.5.4. Here is a link to where it can be downloaded from my dropbox folder. Let me know if you need instructions on how to upload it, with twin engines there are some important procedures to follow.pmto get it to work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8xntlvtkou...5-04.swup?dl=0

Next, I am concerned that the issue may not necessary be interface software - weird data and devices dropping in and out are frequently caused by incorrectly set up network backbones. Seen it several times, even though people swear that the backbone is correctly set up. I urge you to check that the backbone is set up correctly!! There is no point uploading new software if the backbone is the root cause of the problem.

The T’s should be connected like this TTTT with the cross parts connected together and the open ends of the end T’s closed off with terminating resistors. All gauges, interfaces and any other network devices MUST ONLY be plugged into the leg of the T’s.

So your network backbone must have one T per device, plus 1 extra for power. This stuff is critical. If its wrong, problems will happen sooner or later, they might happen immediately or sometime later. While you are checking this, make sure all backbone connections are plugged in firmly and tightened up. 3 connections per T, check them all.

Comment

Murray & Moonlighter. Thank you very much for the assist here.

Moonlighter if you can please provide specific instructions on how to upload the file to twin engines I'd appreciate it. From what I've researched in your posts I will have to upgrade one interface at a time by keeping only one plugged in at a time. (I only have one key that controls power for both motors.)

Secondly can you also provide detailed instructions on how to Set Up twin engines in the device list. I am fairly certain I am doing it correctly by leaving the starboard plugged in then configuring it while leaving the port disconnected. Then configure the starboard and do the same for the Port. (Disconnect Starboard) However, when both are connected back into the network they share the same spot on the device list and just bounce back and forth between stbd and port. Quite frustrating. I've tried to share a link to google photos where you can see the video. (I cannot use dropbox / youtube)

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...NpX2JLbEgtYkx3

I believe my backbone is set up correctly because everything worked perfectly for more than two years before this happened.

Comment

Ok I was able to see that video - never ever seen or heard of that happening before.

So….

Check that network backbone, just because it worked for some years before the problems DOES NOT mean that it is set up correctly. Had several cases where I helped people in exactly the same position as yours and the problems caused by incorrectly set up backbone only happened far later. Yes that sounds weird but its a fact.

So, the steps when setting up twin engines from scratch are simple. Both interfaces must be connected to the network when you do this!! If you have been disconnecting one interface while configuring, that is INCORRECT they both have to be connected when configuring. The only time that they are disconnected is when uploading software.

Turn the key on.
          In the C-10 menu, go
          Settings/fuel/boat setup and set the boat arrangement to 2 engines and (x) number of tanks using the dropdown. Set the tank capacity while you are there or verify that it is correct.
          Then:

Settings/network/devices and then select one of the interfaces and select configure, then I would unconfigure it (select that option) and then reconfigure it. To configure it on that screen, you need to use the dropdown menu to set the engine location to the correct position which, for twin engines, is either Port or Starboard.

At the bottom of that screen you will see a field called INSTANCE. This is the field that the network uses to differentiate between 2 of the same devices, and it will (should) change at the same time as the engine location setting is changed. Port instance = 0, Starboard = 1. So when you are setting the location, just verify that the instances are correct.

On the Configure screen you will see that there are also dropdowns for engine hp and year. Dont try to change them, they are auto detected and even if you change them they will revert as soon as you close it. So the only thing to set using the dropdowns is the engine location.

I will post a separate reply on uploading the interface software.
          Last edited by Moonlighter; 12-26-2021, 07:05 PM.

Comment

To upload a different version software to the Suzuki interface cable, the procedure is detailed below.

This upload can be done using a Suzuki C-10 gauge (you copy the update software file to a usb stick and connect it to the C-10) or with any Simrad NSS or GO series MFD or any Lowrance HDS or Elite Ti/FS model that is connected to your NMEA2000 network (copy the file to a sd card that will fit into the MFD, again it must be no greater than 32GB capacity or the MFD cant read it.)

Important note: if you have multiple engines you should be careful! If all interfaces are active (eg connected to the network and engine key turned on) when you upload the software update, it will attempt to update them all simultaneously and that will more than likely cause the update to crash. So, either turn one engine key on at a time to do the upload individually, or, if thats not possible, unplug all bar one interface from the network and do them one at a time.

Once they are both done they can both be reconnected to the network, and you should then recheck that the boat setup and engine configuration settings are still correct.

Now, the upload procedure is as follows:
            1. Turn the engine key to on where it beeps (but you dont need to start the engine)
            2. Open the C-10 or Simrad/Lowrance MFD menu, find the files/storage page and locate the usb stick or sd card, open it, and select the software update file.
            3. Select upload. Wait while it uploads, you will see a update progress bar as it uploads. It can take a minute or so to upload. Exit when its done.
            4. Then go into the menu again and find network/devices and then open the device list. Locate the Suzuki interface that was just updated. Select configure, it opens a page showing details including the software version. So make sure that the software version listed now matches the version you uploaded.
            5. Also, make sure that the engine location setting is correct, if not, set it using the dropdown on that page.
            6. Do not attempt to change the hp or year settings. These are auto detected on all software versions later than 2.30. Version 2.30 is the only one that you need to manually set the hp and location.
            For twin engines this procedure obviously has to be repeated the second engine.

Now:

Did you check what version your interfaces currently are running? And???

Comment

Thanks Moonlighter. I will be receiving the USB to Micro USB adapter tomorrow.

One last question. I have three c-10 gauges, do I need to use a specific gauge for the upgrade and should I disconnect two out of the three while doing the interface upgrade?

Comment

Upload can be done via any one of the C10 gauges.

And leave them all connected when doing it.

Comment

Thanks Moonlighter. The upgrade seemed to work as planned and now I am reading both interfaces separately. Thanks for the assist!

Paul

Comment

Working...
                  X