Help Needed (Please) Outboard Starting Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed (Please) Outboard Starting Issue

Have a boat with 2 Suzuki outboards, the model number on the top of the engines is 5skxm3.612k8

One of the engines starts up, no issues.

The other engine does nothing when the key is turned.

When key is turned to on (not start) on the working engine, there is an audible beeping and you can hear the I'm assuming fuel pump kick on for a few seconds. Turning to start, easily starts engine.

When key is turned to on (not start) on the non-working engine, there is no beeping and the pump does not kick on either. I tested and there is power at the starter motor. I also checked the one 60amp fuse that is on the engine and it is ok.

Any ideas why the switch does nothing?

Thanks,
    Chris

10A inline fuse on the white wire, usually in the harness up near the helm. It's done it to me once.
    Last edited by Harper; 12-30-2021, 02:41 PM.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

My 10 amp fuse is inches from the positive terminal on the battery(single engine) so if it’s not at the helm…

Comment

May be near helm, though more commonly found near the battery or main battery switch.

Either way - to the original poster - the wire that this fuse is on is widely referred to as the “white wire” and it powers the ecu.

If that wire is compromised = ecu is not happy, wont play, engine no starty. Or if starts, throws error codes, and may also run badly.

Comment

Haha....my batteries are at the helm, under the center console. The fuse is a little closer to the start switch than the battery switch. But y'all are right, it's likely near the battery, wherever it's mounted.
          Mike
          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I sure do get a lot of "unapproved" messages on my posts lately.
            Mike
            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Mine recently had the fuse contacts oxidized(?). They had that gray color on contacts and no beeping with key turn. On a whim I pulled out the fuse and cleaned the connecting ends. Viola. It was only 10 or 12 years since last replacement. The little case covering fuse had really been working well. If the rest of my 14 yr old motor would do so well. This will be her last yr. When we get the world back to normal it's time for that DF140 GB, bad boy..* grunting sound. My supervisor and financial planner told me, honey this year let's get you a new motor. Yeah baby!

Comment

Originally posted by briscoe View Post
                Mine recently had the fuse contacts oxidized(?). When we get the world back to normal it's time for that DF140 GB, bad boy..* grunting sound. My supervisor and financial planner told me, honey this year let's get you a new motor. Yeah baby!
                Its great when the Commander in Chief of the Opposition Forces grants permission for a boating purchase!!

I hear very good things about the DF140BG, very good things indeed!

Comment

Working...
                X