DF70, 2000 "strange" capacitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF70, 2000 "strange" capacitor

Hi, I have a 2000 DF70 with unknown history.
    I have sorted all other troubles I had with it and now it starts and runs nicely.

However, behind the ECU box I have found one very strange capacitor that is definately meant to be like this.
    The picture is not perfect, but I would like to replace it with something that should be there.
    As this setup is not something I would like to take on the sea..
    I have not found any capacitor on parts catalogue for DF70.

When I remove the capacitor and connect the wires, only thing it changes is that there is no "beeeeeep" so und when I turn the ignition on..

Any ideas?

IMG_5472.jpg

Little about the history, I got the motor with a boat. It was sold as seen- not starting.
    In the beginning it did not crank as the starter was dead. I bought a new starter (not genuine)- nothing...
    Removed the leg and it started cranking but very hardly...
    Finally I decided to buy genuine second-hand starter and it works like it should..

Then I had a lot of other questions and I bought the diagnostics software kit on ebay and solved many problems.
    Wires of CKP sensor were broken... So again, I bought second-hand sensors with wires and all works.
    I have done a full service by now and the only thing bothering me is the capacitor mentioned earlier...
    Luckily I have some more months before the ice melts and I can take the boat to sea.

Cheers!
    Peter

Attached Files

There should be a capacitor wired in parallel with your key, and the main control relay. It is there to absorb electrical noise and when you turn the key off, the magnetic field that was built up in the relay coil winding, will not spike from the induced voltage.
    Sometimes the spikes are as high as a hundred volts and with out seeing it on an oscilloscope you will be none the wiser.
    So do some detective work and find where they have wired it in,

Comment

Working...
    X