No announcement yet.

1999 40hp fires over and instantly shuts off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I pulled the plugs out turned it over then put them back in and cranked it with the injectors unplugged to make sure all fuel was burned out. I reconnected the injectors and cranked it for about 15 second and my plugs are soaked in fuel. I checked voltage at D3 and it is at 2 volts C9 is 1.98. I am going to pick up a fuel pressure tester today and see what I have for pressure.

Comment

Pull the rail out and set it up so you can see if the injectors are stuck open when you turn the key on, for it to be from high fuel pressure, the pressure reg must be stuck closed, and the pump is making it's max pressure, up to 80 psi. when it should blow the pressure reg off at a bit over 40 psi.

On post 26 when you said you could see mist coming out of the spark plug hole, I was going to reply if that was the case there should be ample fuel to start the engine, but I over looked it.
      Those voltages are fine.
      It is easy to pull the rail, I think you need to make sure that your injectors are actually opening and closing properly and not sticking, drowning the engine when they are grounded.

Mate I don't know how you could go from no fuel, to be drowning the engine with fuel.

Comment

I got back to looking at the motor after working on some other projects. I found my compression tester and found all cylinders are reading 85psi way below specs I am assuming this is low enough to cause the engine issues I am having?

Comment

Pull the cam cover off and check the valve clearances, 85 psi is getting low, probably would start being petrol and having spark, defenatly would not start if it was diesel. If the valve clearances are ok, squirt oil into each pot and that will raise the comp. The cyls have probably been washed with all the fuel being injected into the engine.
          With the comp so low it is a wonder you didn't notice the cranking speed of the engine being a lot faster then normal.
          If the valves are tight, I think your engine has adjustable rockers. One important thing, did you have the throttle wide open doing your test, if you didn't you may get an incorrect reading.

Comment

I didn't open the throttle at first but then read I should and retested with it open and it didn't make more than a 5-psi difference

Comment

Working...
            X