No water overheating answers??? 9.9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No water overheating answers??? 9.9

Greetings. I inherited a dt9.9c suzuki. First off can anyone tell me the year of the motor based off these numbers? 00994-908903. I am suspecting an 89 but not sure. The owner prior told me the engine overheats and no water was coming out the telltale. I used a paper clip in the end to clear any potential blockage. I checked the impeller in the lower unit, made sure key was in place on shaft and the drain tube alignment and all seemed in good shape. Ran the motor in a barrel then after a short time motor shut off. It did this a couple times as I let it cool prior to starting again. Without the prop, I tried to feel if the drain tube was sucking any water. I didn't feel any pressure and actually saw water bubbles coming out from the cavitation place. Like it was blowing bubbles. It soon shut off. Then I checked the thermostat. Pulled off the housing and it was bone dry. No water was entering into the thermostat. Not sure if thermostat is any good but would still suspect water to be present in cavity. None! I am not sure of the next step to diagnose the problem with it not cooling and coming out of the tell. I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you.
    Attached Files

1989 as suspected from the serial number chart
    it would be a good guess that he impeller is worn out /too old
    these should be changed , at a minimum ever 2 years
    half is compressed and may not spring back to create water pressure
    start with a complete impeller kit
    Art

Comment

Thanks much Art. It will definitely be worth trying. I suppose the impeller will look good but still lose integrity when operating.

Comment

M, it might be exhaust pressure interfering with water pump, especially if seeing bubbles.

I am not real familiar with the 9.9, you'll have to look to see if there are any rubber grommets between exhaust channel and water pickup channel (below impeller section). If you find any, they may be burnt?

You can try running motor with impeller section off, if you can connect a hose to water supply tube that feeds powerhead (don't need high pressure hose, but steady good flow.).

Good luck, post back when able to let us know how it's going.

Comment

Working...
        X