Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF115 broken pipe

Hi all,

While winter servicing my boat I've noted a broken pipe/hose on my DF115 that runs from the engine down the outside front of the leg and plugs into the top front of the leg unit. It looks to have sheared about 2/3 of the way down.

I have 2 questions about this:
    I can't see what the pipe/hose is used for. What does it do?
    If was running last season in this condition what damage might have been down to the engine?

Thank you
    Dave Bradford

Black rubber hose, about 1/4” diameter? Speedometer feed hose. As it stands now you don’t have a speedometer. No damage is done.

Comment

Hi Murray,

Thank you for your answer. For a speedometer I use a spinning wheel (P66) attached to the stern, so have no need for what this sounds like.

For a better understanding: Yes around 1/4" & reinforced (wire in the hose). Is water forced up that hose as the boat moves forward? I buy a gizmo and can measure the flow rate and calculate speed?

Diolch,

Dave
      Dave Bradford

Comment

Look carefully and you will see a very small hole on the leading edge of your lower unit, about the same height as your water inlet screen. As you move forward water pressurizes the air in the tube which in turn pushes the air in the tube, that air pressure is what the speedometer sees, not water. You can install a paddle wheel assembly or a pitot instead, one disadvantage is you will have plastic hanging below the hull so if you beach your boat remember to lift the assembly up. You will have to drill mounting holes in your hull, another disadvantage IMHO.

Comment

Working...
        X