Fuse box issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuse box issues

Small capacitor under fuse box. Remove bottom of fuse box and there’s a small capacitor . One wire connection pulled out of it. Where can I get a replacement. Otherwise replace entire wiring at $700

Amazon Has capacitor kits

Comment

This small capacitor about 3/4” long supplies power? to fuse box. Most mechanics don’t even know it is there under fuse box…..?

Comment

Take off the old part (note polarity), take photos or write down the uF (micro farads ) and other numbers on the part . Any electronic / computer repair shop ,should be able to get you a capacitor when you give them the info.

Comment

Most mechanics might not know there’s one there, but all auto electricians who read a wiring schematic would.
          It’s role is to absorb voltage spikes and noise, especially when the key is turned off, there will be a large voltage spike caused by the main control relay switching off.

Comment

This capacitor doesn’t show on wiring schematic

Comment

Originally posted by Kalojo View Post
              This capacitor doesn’t show on wiring schematic
              But it does...... here, circled in red. As was said, check the capacitance written on the side and get one from any electronics place. Or use this chart to reconnect the one you have (other end of capacitor goes to ground).

image_2632.png
              DF150 wiring.png
              Last edited by Harper; 05-12-2022, 08:40 PM.
              Mike
              μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks for reply and showing me the capacitor in the schematic. The capacitor I have… one of the leads fried, or shorted somehow, the entire pole came loose. Anyway, whatever happened, it apparently got hot enough that nothing is readable on the surface of it, so I can’t determine fa rads or anything to find a replacement. None of the boat supply houses here in Corpus have one. Any Ideas?
                I assume this capacitor is for protection of the computer?

Comment

Go to the “Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts” link at the top of this forum in the dark blue line.

Find your model and year engine in the listing and look in there under the various sections, it might take some digging but the part should be listed in there somewhere.

Comment

You know, come to think of it, I don't believe that we're talking about a capacitor at all. I think the part is a diode, not a capacitor. And any diode meant to handle the relay coil voltage spike shoud work. You could try this one, for instance, used in GM cars to quell voltage spikes from the starter relay. http://oemcats.com/oem-parts/12112422.html

The attached pdf explains: MC-10113732-9999.pdf

The diode would look like this, and can be found nearly anywhere. This is a 1N4002, and it should work in your situation.

1N4002.jpg

Attached Files
                    Last edited by Harper; 05-14-2022, 01:06 AM.
                    Mike
                    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I thought I had problem solved. Local boat repair shop had a complete wiring harness off a 2018. He opened bottom of fuse box to give me the part and it wasn’t there.
                      Mine is a 2019. So one year earlier, the part wasn’t there, or maybe was hidden in some other place.
                      So doesn’t a diode function more like a check valve as opposed to a electrical shock absorber?

Comment

Wrong symbol for a diode. looks like a capacitor

Comment

Turns out it’s a 50 cent capacitor. 2200UF. 25V
                          Overnight from Amazon. Amazing how small an item can cause so much grief. Thanks to every responder for your help.

Comment

Working...
                          X