Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT85 Power Trim, won't stay up.

Hello All,

New to the boating world, I've acquired what I think is a 1985 DT85, it has the 3 ram power trim, which after cleaning the motor out works fine, however when the engine is raised, it slowly seems to bleed back down, I can't hear any moving fluids. Is this simply a seal in the centre ram needs replacing? I've raised and lowered it multiple times and topped up the oil, no change.
    Also the trim motor itself, oil seems to bleed through to the electric side, is this normal? there only seems to be unsealed thread holes for the long assembly bolts and a plain sealed bearing so don't quite see how it would be oil proof?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Is this unit type.
    Attached Files

Comment

I have recently bought a 1989 Bayliner Capri with a DT85, I have a similar trim/ tilt unit with the same issue. From what I have read it is the seals / orings inside the trim/ tilt cylinders. I have them, just ordered a tool to take the cap off, will see how it goes.

Comment

I replaced all the seals in the rams, as I couldn't source specific replacements I measured up and ordered the lot independantly, modifying the smaller ram caps to accept regular oil seals. The unit still bleeds down gradually, I think it comes down to the motor, the seal in it obviosuly needs replacing, but it is so siezed up corroded I cannot get it fully apart to replace the main oil seal, and attempt to seal the assembly bolts.

Comment

Besides the manual screw which allows you to raise/lower unit if tilt doesn't work, the ram seals have to be in good shape to raise/lower the motor. I spent a lot of time trying to find replacement seals, ended up having to order the seal/ram assy repair parts from Suzuki, the complete kit. Unscrewed the old, screwed the new unit in, everything was fine after, it was a bit pricey, but I was fed up trying to find matching seals. The company's either had them and wouldn't sell them, or outboard company's had exclusivity rights to them?

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
          X