Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suzuki DF200: Is checking the valve clearances necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki DF200: Is checking the valve clearances necessary?

I have a 2006 Suzuki DF200. I was wondering how necessary it is to check valve clearances? I stumbled across a couple other threads that indicate that it may not be too necessary. One of the dealers I spoke with said that they hardly ever find valves out of check.

What I'm concerned about is taking an engine that runs perfectly fine and letting a mechanic work on it. In doing so, possibly creating a problem trying to fix an issue that likely does not exist.

With that being said, is it critical to have the valve clearances checked? If it is required, I would like to do so. If not, I will leave well enough alone. What are your thoughts?

I can tell you from a bad experience the answer is YES
    it's not rocket science to check the valve shims for proper spacing
    It does take a special tool, however, to change out the shims and Suzuki seems to think it's made of ****
    find yourself a real suzuki mechanic not somebody that just changed oil
    Art

Comment

.......and it's pretty easy to check the clearances youself. Then if you find they are within prescribed limits, then you have nothing to worry about. But if they are out of tolerance (and some may be pretty far out), you'll know that it needs to be corrected.
      Mike
      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

It is easy for some one that knows what they are doing not for the average person that has never seen under a cam cover

Comment

This was my recent experience.....

About 1400 hours on my '06 DF225. Going in for general oil change and tune up and impeller change. I decided to have the valve clearances checked (this was not suggested to me by mechanic, I just thought it was prudent).

There is alot to remove to access the valve tappets = high labor costs.

All clearances were within spec. Yes, I am happy to know this but it turmed into a pricey reassurance.

I just mounted a DF300AP with a C10 gauge on my Pro-Line 251. I am taking records of RPM/Speed/ Fuel flow rates/ Fuel economy. Personnally, I woun't have the valve clearances checked until I see a degradation in performance and/or an increase in fuel consumption.

Comment

A couple of years ago out here in Aus, there were a number of Suzuki dealers who just "ticked the box" for checking and adjusting the clearances at the 200hr service as specified in the service schedule, without actually doing it.

Then a few instances of major valve clearance related problems/failures started to pop up, and when they tried to put thru warranty claims to Suzuki Australia, Suzuki checked and found that those dealers hadnt bought the special tool or the shim kit that are required to do the job. So they knew and could prove that it couldnt have been done.

The dealers were then forced to foot the cost for the warranty repairs themselves.

Customers were protected, but the dealers had to wear the full cost, and they learnt their lesson.

So by all means, ignore the valve clearance check as specified in the manual if you want to.

But if you take that decision, be fully aware that you are now taking responsibility for any valve related problems that might then arise. YOU will have the wear the consequences and cost if your decision not to do the check and adjust leads to a catastrophic failure.

On a 06 year motor the cost if action/likelihood/consequences equation may tell you that the risk might be worth taking. Maybe.

But on a brand new 2017 DF300??

No way would I take that risk.
            Last edited by Moonlighter; 09-16-2017, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Moonlighter, What does this tool look like and exactly what it does.? Thanks

Comment

Art might chime in, he manufactured his own version, it is a tool to enable shims to be changed. A feeler gauge is used to check clearances first.

Then you would need to buy shims or a shim kit if you need to change any.

Comment

I would think that with 0.009-0.011" of clearance you should be able to pull out shim by loosening the camshaft bolts. But im just guessing.

Comment

I looked up the shims and they are almost 8bucks each. Couldn't find a shim kit. Why couldn't you make a note of what shim is needed on what valve and loosen all camshaft bolts or remove to change all shims at one time.?

Comment

Not that simple!
                      the shims are held in place by a thin stainless collar that needs compressed both the top and the bottom at the same time
                      essentially what you do is check the clearances
                      for those that are not within the correct tolerance you will have to calculate what size is correct

most of the shims have the thickness kind-of printed on them or have to measure with a micrometer
                      you calculate from that thickness, the size of the shim what the new correct thickness is the total correct size and buy that shim
                      the possibility exists you can use a shim from one valve on another valve
                      I think I posted a picture of the tool I made to accomplish this
                      Art

Comment

tool

http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/a...lve-tool-1.jpg

not the best overall picture
                        send me a PM and I can email a number of photos
                        this was made from a 6" open end wrench designed to change attachments on a grinder tool
                        Art
                        Last edited by artdf175; 09-17-2017, 02:13 PM. Reason: add infi

Comment

Is this collar that needs to be compressed part of the tappet or shim.? I couldn't find it in the parts breakdown. Your pic only shows part of the tool. Thanks Art

Comment

From reading this thread http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/s...6-69310-a.html It makes sense now.. You need to compress the valve spring (with the tappet ) to get clearance to remove shim from the lip in the tappet. Or turn the engine so the cam lobe is facing the tappet and the tool holds it, turn the cam 90 degree and take shim out. Am I correct.?

Comment

yes the cam has to be 180 opposite the shim
                              so when the tool compresses the collar/valve spring the shim can be pulled out using a magnet
                              the tool i made. you remove the bolt holding the cam, place the tool and line it up on the collar and tighten down the bolt into the cam shaft threaded hole
                              Art

Comment

Working...
                              X