Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suzuki DF200: Is checking the valve clearances necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the tool photo see attached
    Art
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by artdf175 View Post
      the tool photo see attached
      Art
      That's an art, Art!

Comment

Very Funny Lunch. Thank you Art for your time explaining this to me. This could be pretty expensive job if a dealer did it. I would guess a 10hr. job plus shims and gaskets. Easily a G note

Comment

It's not really that hard to do. maybe a little more than a backyard mechanic
          requires a gasket and a little liquid gasket in a couple of places and maybe a bolt removal tool if one of the head bolts twists off
          the actual measuring is a pretty simple task with a feeler gauge
          need a manual to give you the spacing tolerances
          I certainly don't think you are going to spend significant $$$
          but find a good mechanic. which is not always easy
          and then get an estimate
          good luck.

and thanks Lunchmoney!!!

Art

Comment

I bought a new old stock df140 head off ebay last winter. It came with the cams, valves etc already installed. While my guy was surfacing the old block to marry up to the new head, I had him check the valve clearances against the specs in the manual just to be sure before I put it all back together. It took him less than 10 minutes. Now my head was off, I carried it in and laid it on his workbench, the valve cover was removed and I had the specs handy for him to look at so it was easy. He checked them all with me standing there trying to watch and learn. All were within spec. My case wasn't the norm but point being, it's not a big job to check them.
            Typical scenario would be to remove the cowlings, disconnect the fuel pump, disconnect the plug wires, pull the plugs, remove the valve cover, and start checking. The cams have wrench flats at the base so you can turn them as needed. If everything is within spec, 2 hour job max IMO. The service manual recommends the valve cover gasket be replaced every time it's removed so the shop may charge you for a new one. Replacement isn't necessary IMO but it's likely a shop will cite the manual recommendations and sell you new gaskets. They have to make money where they can.

Comment

I appreciate everybody's input and advice. I think that unless I find a real good Suzuki mechanic, I am just going to leave well enough alone regarding the valves.

I think somebody who really knows what they're doing would get the job accomplished properly. I'm just afraid the dealership may do more harm than good. Given the fact that there is unlikely any issue anyways, I am just going to likely not touch them.

Comment

Thanks again Art for all the help. I think I will buy an extra lifter to fit up a tool to. Im still a long way off as I have maybe 40hrs. on the engine now. Just lookin ahead and trying to learn the engine. Thanks.

Comment

you are very welcome
                  I have been working with the forum for a couple of years and there is always something new to learn
                  if you have not purchased a service manual (not the seloc book). read it cover to cover.
                  if and when you run across something not working correctly at some point in time you have the resources to work with
                  good luck

Comment

Working...
                  X