How to remove DT115?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove DT115?

I need to remove my Suzuki DT115 motor in order to rebuilt my transom.

I have two question:

How do I lift the motor off the boat? It appears to have two hooking spots

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The picture I have label "A" worries me, because it appears to be Aluminum or cast iron. I plan on using a chain hoist hang off my rafters to lift the motor. I have everything removed except the steer cable. There doesn't seem to be enough room to pull the steering cable out. I hope that will be easier once I lift the motor up?

Is it safe to hang the motor for a two or three weeks? I plan on building a stand and put half the weight on the stand and 1/2 on the rafters.

Any advice would be much apprreciated.

Shane

Can't see any picture
    Regards, Martin
    DF200 2007

Comment

Photobucket doesnt allow photo linking any more.

You will have to upload photos to this site.

Comment

No pics on my end either.

A chain-hoist is good, as far as the motor, staying up in the air for a month, that is fine. Are the rafters strong enough? Remember too, those lifting locations on the motor are only good for lifting the motor strait up. They could bend or break if lifting motor off the floor.

The weight of the entire motor is on those 4 bolts through the transom. Once you loosen those bolts, that motor will move. On some installs, those bolts might have to be tapped back through the transom, for the motor to be free to lift?

Do Not lose those bolt holes when working on transom, and always use a good marine sealant on those bolts and holes, when putting motor back in place (Otherwise water will leak into transom again and cause problems again.).

The steering cable should be free to remove with motor on the boat, it was installed after the motor was in place originally. It could be stuck because of dried grease.

Good luck, post back when able to let us know how it's going.

Comment

Working...
        X