Dt55 start up trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dt55 start up trouble

Hi all, I have a dt55 think its a 1987, every time i try to cold start, it takes ages to start up. Once started it will start up fine for the rest of the day. But when i try it the next day same thing. Have new plugs on it. Any info on what could cause this thanks & kind regards

Check the choke solenoid, to see if it is functioning when you push the key switch inwards. Pressing the key switch in while in "on", or "start" position should activate the choke solenoid, closing all three choke butterflies (one for each carb).

There should also be a manual choke near the choke solenoid. The choke solenoid is connected to all three carbs by the linkages at the front of carbs. If any of those choke linkages do not move freely, this could be why the choke is not working?

Good luck, post back when able to let us know how it's going.

Comment

Thanks for the reply solarman. The choke solenoid is working fine when i hold the key in. All 3 butterflies seem to function its doing my head in

Comment

Try raising the fast idle lever on the control box, it will slightly open the throttle and advance the timing for starting.

Comment

Thats the idle speed adjusting switch? Has a lever slow to fast? If thats the one its on the slow setting atm. Will put it on fast & see what happens. Couldnt figure out how to put a pic of it. Thanks for the reply

Comment

No, but that couldn't hurt. I'm referring to the warm-up lever on top of your control box, home to the shift lever, key start, and kill switch.

Comment

Already tried that but no difference. Might try the slow fast switch & see if its any different

Comment

We can only make suggestions based on what you post so why not make a list of what you have done or haven't done. It would save us a lot of time.

Comment

Had the boat for almost a year now and has been hard to start since i bought it. I have changed the sparkplugs, impellar,head gasket, thermostat and a couple more gaskets around the exhaust. Was having trouble with overheating caused by blockage which is all sorted out now. But the only problems is that first start up, then it runs fine. Now the start up sequence is squeeze petrol bulb so its hard then turn ignition on, push in key for the choke and turn the key fully to crank it over. It takes about 15/ 20 cranks to start it

Comment

Sersev, it sounds like it is running right now. Your motor is older than most of our motors. That switch for high and low is for adjusting timing on your motor related to idle or running speeds. It should be on low when starting.

Your motor is 30 years old.

Short of going through the entire fuel system, and cleaning the carbs, and blowing out all those small pas-sages for fuel and air. Also, cleaning/ checking/ replacing fuel pump of needed?

Sersev, is it possible, that your cylinder compression is getting lower, causing it to get harder to start? I do know low compression will cause this to happen? This should be checked first, before going through fuel system.

Good luck, post back when able to let us know what you find out.

Comment

Might have to get a compression test & report back. Thanks for the input. Kind regards

Comment

Hi I have a Suzuki DT60 two stroke outboard which will not engage the chokes on to start he engine, I have to manually put them on then it starts first time how do i check the solonoid?

How do the chokes go on normally is it just by turning the key on?

regards Tony 1

Comment

Tony, the key switch must be pushed in, after the switch is turned to the on, or start position. You can test the solenoid with an ohm meter, the service manual lists the good and bad resistance values.
                          Another thing to check, if the choke linkages are all free and easy to move. If any one of the butterflies is sticking, try lubricating it to free it up. The solenoid when key is "on" and pushed in, should pull all the linkages for each butterfly closed.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                          X