LMF400 gauge not displaying data with new ECM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LMF400 gauge not displaying data with new ECM

I recently failed an iac valve and ecu on my 2013 df140a. I have replaced the ecu and now my two lmf400 gauges won’t display any data, hours,rpm, fuel flow etc. I have tried re configuring the engine data on my lowrance hds units but have had no luck. Im also unable to change engine type from df70 to df140 on my hds unit. Any help would be appreciated.

What year is the new ECM? Part numbers of old and new would be a start I think

Comment

Lots of questions….

Is the new ecu correct for your engine year? It does seem a bit odd that its seeing the engine as a 70 hp though…. Are you sure you got the right ecu?? Part number?? Is the engine running OK??

What software version is your engine interface cable? Check this in the configuration screen in the HDS. If its version 2.5.0 or newer then you cannot change the engine hp and year, it is automatically detected at the engine family level. You can only set the engine location as centre (for single engine installations). So just set the location using the dropdown, save and exit.
      report back with the interface software version details as shown on the config screen.

Do you see the SMIS gauges on the network device list in the HDS?

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
        Lots of questions….

Is the new ecu correct for your engine year? It does seem a bit odd that its seeing the engine as a 70 hp though…. Are you sure you got the right ecu?? Part number?? Is the engine running OK??

What software version is your engine interface cable? Check this in the configuration screen in the HDS. If its version 2.5.0 or newer then you cannot change the engine hp and year, it is automatically detected at the engine family level. You can only set the engine location as centre (for single engine installations). So just set the location using the dropdown, save and exit.
        report back with the interface software version details as shown on the config screen.

Do you see the SMIS gauges on the network device list in the HDS?
        New ecu part number is 33920-92je1, the ecu that came off was 33920-92jl1 I believe. The Suzuki dealer in town diagnosed and ordered the ecu for me, possibly a superceeded number?

the engine runs fine, was able to do the iac duty cycle calibration before trying to config the gauges.

engine interface is v2.7

i can see both SMIS gauges on the device list. Both gauges are v2.7 software.

Comment

Can you get engine data onto the HDS?

If so, in the HDS menu, run an auto detect for network data sources as follows:

menu/settings/network/device list, then select the option to auto select data sources, and follow the prompts from there.

Comment

Can you get engine data onto the HDS?

If so, in the HDS menu, run an auto detect for network data sources as follows:

menu/settings/network/device list, then select the option to auto select data sources, and follow the prompts from there.
            Nope, not able to get engine data on the hds unit itself. Could the new ecu require an updated interface cable?

Comment

Something weird is going on here. Im still perplexed that the interface is showing the engine as a 70hp. So maybe the interface cable software has corrupted or something when the IAC valve shorted out. But anyway, 2.7 should be Ok with a 2013 engine.

If you do replace it, get a new Version 3.5.7 cable, thats the correct one for a 2013 model year engine. Make sure yours is a 2013 MY though because if its 2012 then you need 2.9.4. So if your engine serial number is 310001 or higher you need 3.5.7.

You say that you can turn the engine key on, then open the HDS menu, go to the network menu, and open the device list and the Suzuki engine is listed there. Correct?

And you can open that device from there, select configure, and it opens the page showing the interface cable details, now is that correct too?

If so when you open the interface cable then on that page you should see a item DATA. Select that item, it will pop open a window showing all the data that the interface has available. Report back when you check that as to what data is available on that list. If its not showing data or is deficient, then I suspect you may need a new interface cable.

If the normally expected data shows as available on that list, run the auto detect data sources procedure that I set out in my previous reply.

Comment

The interface has to match the year of the ecu, not the engine. I think the JE1 ecu is an earlier version of the JL1 which was fitted DF140a 2013 to 2017, then for 2018-19 it was JQ1.

You could approach an engine tuner and get advice if they can upgrade your JE1 ecu using the JL1 software (I hope they could do that), or you could downgrade your interface cable. Either way there must be protocol mismatch because if the interface were fried it simply wouldn't work.

Interesting fact:
                2014 DF115a has part number 33920-92JC0
                2015 DF115a has part number 33920-92JF0

Interesting post #6:
                https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...suzuki-recalls

Interesting web page:
                https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc...JL1-p70421.htm
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Pbodsw; 07-26-2022, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Something weird is going on here. Im still perplexed that the interface is showing the engine as a 70hp. So maybe the interface cable software has corrupted or something when the IAC valve shorted out. But anyway, 2.7 should be Ok with a 2013 engine.

If you do replace it, get a new Version 3.5.7 cable, thats the correct one for a 2013 model year engine. Make sure yours is a 2013 MY though because if its 2012 then you need 2.9.4. So if your engine serial number is 310001 or higher you need 3.5.7.

You say that you can turn the engine key on, then open the HDS menu, go to the network menu, and open the device list and the Suzuki engine is listed there. Correct?

And you can open that device from there, select configure, and it opens the page showing the interface cable details, now is that correct too?

If so when you open the interface cable then on that page you should see a item DATA. Select that item, it will pop open a window showing all the data that the interface has available. Report back when you check that as to what data is available on that list. If its not showing data or is deficient, then I suspect you may need a new interface cable.

If the normally expected data shows as available on that list, run the auto detect data sources procedure that I set out in my previous reply.
                  Yeah the Suzuki interface comes up on the data list, the config screen shows CNTR, 2009 70hp, v2.7.and the data it’s got on there are things like tachometer, voltage and temperatures etc. but all read 0 with engine running.

Comment

Originally posted by Pbodsw View Post
                    The interface has to match the year of the ecu, not the engine. I think the JE1 ecu is an earlier version of the JL1 which was fitted DF140a 2013 to 2017, then for 2018-19 it was JQ1.

You could approach an engine tuner and get advice if they can upgrade your JE1 ecu using the JL1 software (I hope they could do that), or you could downgrade your interface cable. Either way there must be protocol mismatch because if the interface were fried it simply wouldn't work.

Interesting fact:
                    2014 DF115a has part number 33920-92JC0
                    2015 DF115a has part number 33920-92JF0

Interesting post #6:
                    https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...suzuki-recalls

Interesting web page:
                    https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc...JL1-p70421.htm
                    So the je1 might require an earlier version of the interface cable rather than the new version?

Comment

I should add aswell, everything was working fine prior to installing the JE1 ecu.

Comment

Originally posted by Rangapuku View Post

So the je1 might require an earlier version of the interface cable rather than the new version?
                        Yes logical because it was superseded by the non working ecu and newer ecu's go down the alphabet not up.

Comment

Version 2.7 should work with any engine from 2008 to at least 2015.

If you want I can post links to V2.5.0 and 2.30 which I know will work fine with either of those year ecu’s. Easy to upload via the HDS. I would try 2.5.0 first.

Comment

Version 2.7 should work with any engine from 2008 to at least 2015.

If you want I can post links to V2.5.0 and 2.30 which I know will work fine with either of those year ecu’s. Easy to upload via the HDS. I would try 2.5.0 first.
                            Would be awesome if you could post those links mate!

Comment

Ok here they are from my dropbox folder.

version 2.30
                              https://www.dropbox.com/s/a7a20aa7t0...0_UPD.luf?dl=0

version 2.5.0
                              https://www.dropbox.com/s/062veyt36u...2.5.0.luf?dl=0

Download the files to your desktop, and dont try to open them. Then copy them to a SD card that will fit into your HDS unit but it must be no bigger than 32GB capacity or the HDS wont read it.

Now, the upload procedure is as follows:
                              1. Turn the engine key to on where it beeps (but you dont need to start the engine)
                              2. Open the Lowrance MFD menu, find the files/storage page and locate the sd card, open it, and select the software update file.
                              3. Select upload. Wait while it uploads, you will see a update progress bar as it uploads. It can take a minute or so to upload. Exit when its done.
                              4. Then go into the menu again and find network/devices and then open the device list. Locate the Suzuki interface that was just updated. Select configure, it opens a page showing details including the software version. So make sure that the software version listed now matches the version you uploaded.
                              5. Also, make sure that the engine location setting is correct, if not, set it using the dropdown on that page.
                              6. Do not attempt to change the hp or year settings. These are auto detected on all software versions later than 2.30. Version 2.30 is the only one that you need to manually set the hp and location.
                              Last step is to run an auto detect for data sources as per my post #5.

I recommend you use version 2.5.0. Its a proven version that works with most engines.

Comment

Working...
                              X