Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 115hp stalling

Hi,
    I would like some help in sorting out my stalling problem. Since I've owned this outboard ( bought in 2013 second hand with a 120hrs ) it has always had this problem of stalling . The engine when started up cold will idle fine for awhile ( probably 5 minutes ) then turn off as if someone had turned it off. Also, while motoring along at less than 2000rpms it will eventually die . Starts right back up and continues for a few minutes then repeats. I had a severe version of this a few years back that was resolved with a new Suzuki IAC valve. This is different . The engine starts easy and will run fine at slow speed until it warms up. I installed the plug associated with the exhaust leaking through the metal plug soon after buying . the serial # of my 2004 engine is 11501F-421856 . Any suggestion on how to troubleshoot is welcomed .

Thank You

Does the engine run well at wide open throttle, will it go over 5500rpm, and when it stalls is like the key just turns off, or does it run rough then stall.

Comment

Hi redlowrey,
      I've only ever ran it wot when I first bought it but I've no reason to believe that it won't as I normally cruise at 3,800 - 4,000 with no problem . Yes, it stutters and attempts to catch it self before dying . Starts right back up . If I attempt to stop it from stalling and it still does,the subsequent start may require two attempts . once it starts its normal again but will stall again after few minutes if I continue to run at a low rpm.Idling at the dock cold she will run for 5 - 10 minutes then cut off like the key was switched off . Thanks for responding .

Comment

It sounds like it might be running a bit lean, do these couple of things first before we worry about anything else. Get some carbi cleaner or some petrol on a rag and open the throttle to the wide open position and clean the inside of the throttle body and the under side of the throttle plate and get all that black carbon off it. Then run the engine on the muffs till it gets to operating temp, then remove the rubber plug out of the throttle body and turn the little screw inside anti clockwise till you get over 1000rpm, there should be a beep indicating that the computer has fixed the duty cycle on the iac valve, then turn the screw in till you get 750 rpm.

If you lift the warm up leaver up till the rpm is over 1000rpm or when the closed throttle switch is activated you should hear the beep again and the computer has come off fixed duty cycle, see how that goes if it still stalls I will give you some other checks to do to see if is running lean.

Comment

Thanks redlowrey,
          Will do . Probably work on it this weekend .

Comment

two things I forgot to mention : 1) there are no codes when scanned and 2) Is there a possibility that the map sensor needs cleaning ?

Comment

Working...
            X