Replaced impeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replaced impeller

I recently replaced my impeller. When everything was back together, the motor was not in neutral when the shifter was in the neutral position. Can anyone tell me why and how to fix this problem?

It will depend on the engine. Need to know engine model and hp, and if it has SPC controls (fly by wire) or not.

Comment

Thanks for the response Moonlighter. Sorry that I neglected to give the necessary information. My motor is an older [1990] dt15. I have changed the impeller twice before with no problems. It has always been a little tricky at the last step where you reconnect the linkage. The first two times, it worked out fine. As I said, this time I am having a problem with neutral not being where it should be.

Comment

Ok, we have a few members that are familiar with the older 2 strokes, but you may need a little patience until they come along and see your post to reply.

Comment

Shift rod must be twisted out of position

Comment

Did you take the connecting rod loose at the adjustment/turn buckle, or at the top where it connects to the shifter? Did you change the threaded "turn buckle" adjustment at all?

Post back to let us know how you disconnected the shift rod to remove the lower unit/ gear case.

Comment

I disconnected it at the adjustment/turnbuckle. That is the way I have always done it. It must have been the way I learned to do it originally. I did not know that you could disconnect it at the shifter. Is that an easier/better way to do it? As an update, I played around with that connection and adjusted it a little at a time until I got it where it shifted correctly. I took my boat out today and everything seems fine. Thanks for the help. let me know if there is a better way of getting this done. Is it easier to disconnect the shift rod at the shift lever. Can you get the lower unit off when you disconnect it at the shift lever?

Comment

Actually it is easier at the connection you did use. The shifting problem occurs when the adjustment is changed, and not put back to the proper adjustment. On many of those adjusters one side has a pin or bolt that locks the lower shift rod in place, where the upper side of that connector has a locking nut to prevent the adjuster from changing the adjustment. In most cases (if yours is set up this way) you only need to remove the lower pin/bolt to allow the lower shift rod to slide out of the connector. If the adjuster is properly adjusted, and you do not change the adjustment during R & R of the lower unit, then there should not be a need to readjust the connector. Only that the shifter on the motor, and the lower unit are in the same positon when the pin/bolt is reinstalled (neutral & neutral, usually works for me). Once connected I always check if the shifting works from the controls properly. If the controls don't engage FNR fully, then I do adjust the connector at that time.

Good luck, post back and happy boating.

Comment

Solarman, Thank You for explaining this more clearly. I did move that top nut slightly in order to back off the lower nut. Now I understand that I should have left the top nut where it was. I am a little confused though about what you mean by "the shifter on the motor and the lower unit are in the same position". How would you be sure that the lower unit is in neutral. I assumed that when you take it apart, the lower unit is in neutral. Disconnected, therefore not in gear [neutral]. Is that wrong?

Comment

Sometimes when pulling, or re-installing the lower unit the shift rod gets bumped/moved up or down? If that happens there are only 3 positions, down - middle (middle being neutral) - up. A common person generally doesn't know which position the "up" or "down" would be, unless they turn the prop shaft and knows which is forward or reverse, but neutral is always the middle position. So if the controls and lower unit are both in the middle (neutral) positon when reconnected (if adjusted properly before and after the work) then you shouldn't need any adjustment to the connector.

This is the easiest way to explain that thought. I have many times had to moved the controls and shift rod to line up those connectors as they all don't go together perfectly? And there's no need to lower the lower unit just to line them back up if they didn't line up the first time.

Happy boating, glad it all worked out for you.

Comment

Thanks again! You have been very helpful!

Comment

Working...
                      X