2019 Suzuki DF350 Blown Head Gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Suzuki DF350 Blown Head Gasket?

We have 260 hours on the engine, the majority of which are at idle. We were returning from fishing Saturday when the Garmin unit alerted us to an engine overheat. The motor went into limp mode. I shut it down, checked for weeds on the intake and there was a small amount. Brushed them off, fired the motor up and the motor ran flawlessly the remainder of the trip in. Got home and went to clan the boat, which includes taking the cover off to rinse and salt and noticed oil on top of the engine. I pulled the dipstick and it is chocolate milk colored. Of course, the original 3 year warranty went out in April and we are only the extended protection plan from Cornerstone. My local dealer said he is 4 weeks out from even looking at the motor. I have concerns that neither of the Suzuki MFD's have alarms or codes. Also, does anyone have any experience dealing with Cornerstone? We cannot locate our paperwork on the warranty information. We have maintained this engine and have all the records just hoping for some relief.

Water intrusion is usually a milky whitish colour. Any chance you have fuel in the oil? Did you give the oil a good sniff? How high is the oil level on the dip stick? Reason I’m asking is sometimes the VST overflow/vent line will dump fuel into the crankcase if the float inside the VST is outside of specifications. This issue shows up with lots of idling. Search this forum for “making oil”

Comment

I spoke to several suzuki mechanics including one in South Florida. The thought is that my early model 2019 may have been part of the bad castings on the blocks. They believe it to be a port side issue. On Friday the oil was very gaseous smelling and dark. I did a complete 100 hour service and then ran the boat on Sunday. Got home and pulled the dipstick and the oil was chocolate creamy milk looking. At the end of the draining cycle, small parts of debris started coming out of the plug hole. I took pictures and have kept all the oil until it can be seen.

Comment

I just changed the oil on a 2003 df 90. Tried to start it and am using starting fluid. Motor has not run for 4 years. Engine won't start, removing all old gas turned to junk. Checked the dipstick and found no oil! All plugs are in, where could the oil go? noticed oil with the water on driveway. What happened? At a loss right now.

Comment

When you pulled the plugs, were they covered in oil?

Comment

All I have to say is good luck with cornerstone. They are a complete nightmare. Read your extended protection plan terms and conditions. My 2018 Df300 with 180 hours had some issues my Suzuki shop thought should be covered. Cornerstone requires a complete removal of the power head to display the “mechanical breakdown”. They would not accept a scoped image. Once it was completely disassembled and displayed they denied the claim for not enough proof showing the “cause” of the mechanical breakdown. Now I’m left with a 3k bill to reassemble everything. 4 months later still not fixed. In order to get something fixed by then they need to see the smoking gun

Comment

Cornerstone covered a new powerhead on the engine. Apparently Suzuki had some issues with the late 18's/early 19's that led to blown cylinders according to the mechanics. I only had half the compression in one of the cylinders. Outboard Specialties in Pompano Beach completed the work in short order. Outstanding turnaround time.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber1969 View Post
                Cornerstone covered a new powerhead on the engine. Apparently Suzuki had some issues with the late 18's/early 19's that led to blown cylinders according to the mechanics. I only had half the compression in one of the cylinders. Outboard Specialties in Pompano Beach completed the work in short order. Outstanding turnaround time.
                Thanks for coming back and updating with the result.

I had seen reports of some issues with the early 350’s.

Good that its all sorted and back up and running.

Comment

Working...
                X