DT2 Stalling High RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT2 Stalling High RPM

I bought a DT2 and got it running. Well, sorta. It will starting the first pull and idles no problem. When I go into towards wide open throttle it runs there for about 10 secs, the bogs and eventually stalls. It starts again on first pull and will idle,but can't go much above an idle before it starts to stall again.

I've got fresh gas, put seafoam through the air intake, pulled the bowl on the carb and it was clean.

Does anyone have thoughts as to what's going on and how to fix it?

It's possible it could be running the bowl empty, either because of a blockage between fuel pump and needle valve, or maybe the float is set too low. Does the bulb stay firm, or do you have to pump it up again to restart? This could indicate the fuel pump might not be keeping up supplying fuel to the bowl?

These would be my first direction for your problem.

Good luck, post back when able to let us know whay you find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Solarman View Post
      It's possible it could be running the bowl empty, either because of a blockage between fuel pump and needle valve, or maybe the float is set too low. Does the bulb stay firm, or do you have to pump it up again to restart? This could indicate the fuel pump might not be keeping up supplying fuel to the bowl?

These would be my first direction for your problem.

Good luck, post back when able to let us know whay you find out.
      Solaman, thanks for your response. The more I think about the issues, the more I believe it to be fuel somewhere, just not sure where yet. This engine does not have a primer bulb on it. What looks like a primer bulb is the engine stop / cutoff.

I have the service manual for he outboard and I checked the float level. It's supposed to be 0.75-0.85 inches from the rim of the bowl. Which it is set to. I haven't gone to a full teardown of the carb yet, but I did a partial disassembly with carb cleaner and directly used seafoam in the air intake while the engine was idling.

What puzzles me is it will only goto high RPM after it's cold for the 10 seconds or so. Otherwise it'll go just above an idle. It will always starts back up after it stalls with one pull if the throttle is at idle.

I'm going to look at the carb fuel screen on the banjo bolt. I'm going to see if that is restricting higher flow required when the high RPM is required. I don't think it's the strainer in the fuel tank as I pulled the fuel line there and had pretty good gravity flow from the tank to drain it last time I tuned it up.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions. I can also share the service manual if you really want to help dive into it.

Comment

I think I found the issue. I was tracking low gravity flow back to the drain cock. I pulled apart the drain cock and found pieces of the rubber in there caught in the tracks.

I just bought a new drain cock online and we'll see if that helps.

Comment

Try to identify where the rubber pieces came from? If the hose is breaking down because of ethanol fuel change all related to fuel flow, to and from pet cock.

Also, if pieces are in that valve, they might also be on the back side of the needle valve seat, you need to check by removing the needle valve seat. Then you'll have to reset float adjustment correctly (every time seat is r&r the adjustment changes, if old or new seat is used).

Good luck, post back when able, to let us know how it's going, and if you find more problems.

Comment

It was the drain cock that was restricting fuel flow. Now she runs much better

Comment

Thanks for letting us know.

It's always good to know what solved the problems, thanks.

Happy boating, stay safe.

Comment

Working...
              X