sudden oil loss on df 90 2003

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sudden oil loss on df 90 2003

have a 2003 df 90. Clearing gas lines of lacqor sp? from old gas build up. Starting it with starting fluid. runs til its out. cleaned injectors and removing lines to clear them. Noticed that the oil in the unit didn't touch the dipstick. Put in 5 quarts and gone in 2 days of trying to fire it up. What could of got the oil to be gone? Was heavy in waste cooling water. Don't know why. Engine has 75 hrs on it and was neglected by owner. Someone stole the ecm, so got a used one. No history. When I changed the oil, it only had 2 quarts in it. Last changed 2/11/15. Put in new filter and 5 qts. No idea it spit it out. Don't know how it evacuated so quickly. Any ideas would be appreciated.

If you could clearly see oil coming out of the prop with the water supply, it would mean the engine was pumping under pressure oil straight into a water gallery probably between the cyl head and block because it was eaten out, electrolysis.
    If it was a df140 with an oil cooler, it would most probably be coming from that. when you cleaned the injectors did you or who you got to clean them remove and replace the little filter baskets inside the injectors.
    Have you done some basic checks to see if you have fuel pressure and that the injectors are operating, rather than just trying to run it on starting fluid and destroying your starter motor.

Comment

total run time was 2 to 3 minutes with multiple starts with starting fluid. Noticed oil was down to not touching the dipstick. Would electrolysis be the issue or a worn engine seal? trying to figure out if the motor is toast or ok to fix it, or buy new?

Comment

Pull the leg off and have a look and see if the oil is just pouring out of the lower seal, Undo the high pressure line at the rail turn the key on and see if you get a nice stream of fuel for about three seconds before the pump turns off, at least that will tell you whether you have to work back towards the high pressure filter and pump or not.

Comment

I should of added be careful that you don't spill fuel everywhere.

Comment

I checked the low pressure gas pump and it is leaking out the back. Will replace. Should I replace the pump in the vst ? when I turn on the key, there is no pumping sound. Is the vst pump gone bad?

Comment

The oil came out of the top of the yoke for the steering. It was outside of the lower unit as well. Could both seals be bad, on top and bottom of the power head? That could explain the major oil loss, leakm with no electrolysis known. Have to wait to have the shop look at it. Also, wanted to thank you for your answers and time to answer my questions. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

forgot to add, the oil in the crank case is clean and new as when I put it in earlier. No water in the oil. Happy, Happy, Happy about that!!

Comment

The other place that you can get oil leaks from (known to be an issue) is the oil filter. A number of people have had the filter case split or develop a tiny pin hole, and it doesn’t take long at all for oil under pressure with the engine running to pump out a lot of oil. Now, you are going to see a mess of oil on the engine as a result. If you run the engine with the cowl removed you might even see a oil fountain!

Comment

turns out, it could be the seals on the upper and lower chefs nut!!! who knew???

Comment

Working...
                    X