DT65 idling high ~2500RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT65 idling high ~2500RPM

Hey all, have a 1997 DT65 and having an issue with high revs when idling and I guess in general.

Motor was running fine when I went out for a run for an hour or so (it was actually running really well - nice and smooth etc), but when coming back into the ramp on minimal throttle it was revving at 1500 or so whcih is a bit high. Shifted to neutral and revs went to 2000 or so.

Got home, started it up to flush and was idling at 2000-2500.

Where do I start - any main culprits on these motors?

Throttle valve sensor? Apparently if sensor has high voltage when closed it results in high idling RPM.

Ignition timing resistor can also cause high RPM is a short is evident.

So a couple of potential culprits but keen to know if anyone has had similar issue and a successful fix.

Many thanks
    Last edited by roadhouse; 10-17-2022, 07:19 PM.

My guess (from your description) would be the throttle valve sensor. This is a '97 Dt65 (20+ yrs old?), and that sensor has several steps related to the throttle valve opening (adjusting timing according to throttle position). It is possible that the lower step for idle could be off.

If you have a Suzuki service manual for your engine, it should tell how to test it.

Or, Google your part # "SUZUKI outboard - SENSOR,THROTTLE - 37810-95605". Price seems to vary considerably, but about $90 was about right.

If you look up your part online, and click on the part number, scroll down to the bottom, it will show how many different motors used the same part including the dt65.

it is not uncommon for this part to go bad on one or more steps.

Good luck, post back on what you find out.

Comment

Working...
    X