1980s Suzuki DT85 Trim down problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980s Suzuki DT85 Trim down problem

Hello, new boater here. So I acquired this 1989 Bayliner with the subject 2 stroke motor recently. Trim and tilt did not work at all, I opened the electric motor and cleaned it up. Filled up the reservoir and trim/tilt UP started working. Down still didn't work. I have replaced the DOWN relay. When I jump the wires directly from the battery UP and DOWN both work. I put a voltmeter to the relay connectors where the both wires going to the motor are connected on separate relays. When I press UP I see 12+ volts, nothing when I press DOWN. The DOWN relay clicks but no voltage. This is a brand new relay, same symptoms as the old one. If I connect the wires in reverse order between the relays and the motor so the UP button controls the DOWN function and it works fine, and the trin/tilt DOWN works. Could it be a broken wire? What should I look for? Test? Thanks
    Last edited by dodo23; 10-24-2022, 12:32 AM.

sounds like the switch itself
    I had one go bad with moisture
    took the switch apart cleaned contacts and it worked until I was able to find a new one
    Art

Comment

I have also run across a plug connector on a short 3" wire that had no connection/continuity from one end to the other. I did a voltage check at each wire connection from the solenoid to the motor switch, when I found voltage, I unplugged both ends of that 3" jumper wire and did a continuity test. Once I found that wire, replaced it, no more problems.

Good luck, post back on what you find out.

Comment

Switch doesn't seem to be the problem as I can flip the motor wires and down switch works to raise the motor. I'll check the wires as suggested and report back.

Comment

Working...
        X