DT40 Cowling Clip/Latch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT40 Cowling Clip/Latch

I need to replace a broken upper section of my DT40 Cowling Clip/Latch (see pic) but I can't find the part number or even name anywhere. Any help pls? 20230319_075016.jpg

Follow this link to the parts section on this website. Locate your engine from the menu.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/suzuki/outboard

Comment

You need to select 40hp first. Then you will need to scroll down to your year and model number.

Comment

I've had a look at these parts lists, but they only have the bottom part of the fastener. I need the top part that the latch clips down on. You can see in the pic where the two rivets that hold it on are broken.

Comment

I think the part that you want is called a "hook", and displayed on the "engine cover" picture? The "fastener" is the shown on the "lower cover" or "side cover" picture depending on what motor you have?

But, without the year, and model number, of your specific motor it would be hard to give you a part number?

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks mate, that sounds like it makes sense. It's a 2013 Suzuki DT40wr. I have the manual. It has the fastener part in the diagram for the lower cover but no hook in the diagramfor the upper cover. There's just nothing there for the fastener to fasten on to. Screenshot_20230322_024135_Drive.jpgScreenshot_20230322_024111_Drive.jpg See pics.

Comment

"Might try making one from a bent piece of sheet metal , 1/8" thick aluminum

Comment

Yeah mate, that's what I was gonna with as a last resort.

Comment

Looks like a shared component with other engines of that era. Look at the parts list for a 2007 DF50

Comment

61642-90L00 Is a part shared by many smaller Suzuki motors.

Heck for less than $5, order one and see if it fits!!

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
                      61642-90L00 Is a part shared by many smaller Suzuki motors.

Heck for less than $5, order one and see if it fits!!
                      That's not the part hey. That part is the lever that the lower fastener pivots on. I need the upper part that the fastener clips on to.

I'm starting to think it comes attached to the upper cover, not separately.

Comment

Think I would make it out of S/S, 1/4" wider than the screws, making sure its not too wide for the fastener. Add a slight lip for fastener to grab, then couple screw holes just the right location to give the fastener a slight tension. A good machine shop could make one, but might be closer to $40+ to make one.

Good luck, post back on what you find out.

Comment

So as I'm minutes away from getting the angle grinder out to cut up some old sheet metal and I see this latch on my old camper trailer box. Works a treat! 20230806_122358.jpg20230806_122455.jpg

Comment

Nice work.

You can get those latches in stainless steel too.

Comment

Working...
                            X