Catamaran spray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catamaran spray

I purchased twin 2015 140s for Seacat 25. At both service intervals, mechanic said the starboard engine showed considerable salt residue and some corrosion starting. Port engine fine. He said not unusually for cats that boil up water between the hulls. Told me to find a fix.

Another mechanic told me that I shouldn't have been sold 140s; that 150s and larger have baffles that prohibit this blow back of spray into the engine.

I read, however, on the Suzuki webpage, "In addition to all of these corrosion fighting features, the one-piece engine hood and baffled air induction systems on Suzuki outboard engines effectively seal the powerhead from saltwater".

What's the remedy? Buy new engines?

I would have thought both engines would show the same amount of corrosion or lack of. Why is water getting in one engine and not the other?

Comment

I have been on some cats here in Australia, and one in particular running twin DF140A’s it was incredible to watch the motors as we powered along, the motors were getting totally drenched as they each threw water across onto the other side. It was like someone throwing 2 gallon buckets of water on one engine cowl and then the other. Every 5 seconds!!

Both those engines had been sprayed under the cowl with a solid coating of lanoline spray grease. This repells water and protects from corrosion. The owner said he rinsed carefully under the cowls every few months, then reapplied lanoline spray.

I use the same spray on my DF115.

Ozspray industry extra grade lanoline. Products

Our local Suzuki dealer uses this spray on all engines he services.

I would also suggest you check engine heights to make sure they are not contributing to the engines throwing so much water around and across each other. But some cats simply do this due to hull design and nothing can prevent it. Which means the only thing you can do is try to protect the engines from salt and corrosion with soray coatings such as the lanoline I mentioned.

The only downside with the lanoline spray is that you may have to beat the Kiwi’s off with a stick! LOL (joke).

Comment

i would be very carefull with moist or water vapour getting under the hood. to much water in the air that goes into the engine and damage will be done. and i don't mean water lock.
        i.ve seen 2 stroke engine's with piston damage due to vapour been sucked in at high speed. the lubrication of the cilinder wall is in danger.

i would do anything to prevent it like putting them on a lift or setback or extend the bottom to near the gearcase / cavitation plate just to avoid spray.

Comment

walkitalk, if you're in the US, we have a product here similar to Australia's Lanotec or Ozspray. It's called Fluid Film.
          Last edited by Harper; 12-02-2017, 08:41 PM.
          Mike
          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I've got a Seacat SL5C (25') and don't have this issue. You really need to look at your engine heights and also check if you've got a transducer or something throwing all that spray.

Comment

cat over spray

My Cat does not do this. Sounds like the cavitation plates are below The bottom of the boat, should be slightly above.

Comment

Working...
              X