Failed to update interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed to update interface

Hello. Tried updating lowrance and suzuki interface with sd card. It didn't go well and now there is only light and no engine information on smis 4". The instrument is completely blank.I really messed it up. It says 2.7 on the interface. Lowrance hds9 gen2. 2014 mod engine.
    Anyone have a solution
    Moonligther?
    Last edited by Freddy jakob; 07-25-2023, 02:03 PM.

SD card must be 32GB or smaller or the Lowrance can’t read it and the update will fail.

A 2.7 interface cable can only be updated with .luf software files. For a 2014 model engine, the correct version is 3.5.

here is a link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2yy0h3os3...R550R.luf?dl=0

Its odd that the SMIS gauge is now unserviceable.

Do you see any engine info on the Lowrance (engine key has to be turned on where it beeps)?

Open the Lowrance menu, go to settings/network/devices and locate the Suzuki device, open it. What software version does it now show?

Comment

Hi Moonligther and thanks for the tip. The SD card I used was 16GB. I'll try what you say and update when I'm in the boat next time. Thank you for your feedback

Comment

Hello. Have now checked lowrance and there is no engine data. Have also looked into settings/network and devices but there is nothing about suzuki with the ignition on. Smis, there is background light but no engine info or S logo when I turn on the ignition. The engine starts as normal. Have double checked the fuses for the interface. This is very strange

Comment

Now I have been tested a little more. I am attaching a picture where the suzuki engine came up on the screen. When I went back and entered the network list again, suzuki info did not come back but only one as shown in the picture. This went away when I turned the ignition off. I downloaded the file you linked to transfer it to the sd16g. When I put it in the port and turned on lowrance, nothing came up about loading it. If I manually configure, the configuration starts again and again. Still have no engine info on lowrance and smis.

Comment

Pictures lowrance
            Attached Files

Comment

Ok your engine is already running V 3.5.0 as shown in the photo in post #7.

Try one last thing.

Turn Lowrance display on. Turn engine key on to where it beeps. Then in Lowrance menu, steps as follows:
              1. menu/settings/network
              2. then select Auto Configure. It will pop up a warning to tell you to make sure ALL DEVICES attached to the N2K network are turned on before proceeding. Do that.
              3. Then Proceed. Done.
              Then check both the Lowrance and the SMIS display for correct engine data being displayed.

Auto select or auto configure data sources, which are the same thing by different names, should be done (best practice) whenever a new device is attached to or existing device taken off a network even if its the same make/model.

Also it usually fixes mysterious data missing issues.

It is safe to do as a problem solving tool, no downsides, wont mess anything up.

If this doesnt work, I think that your interface cable may be failing or has failed.

Replacing it with a new one running version 3.5.7 software is the correct replacement. This is the part number 990C0-88149-357.
              Last edited by Moonlighter; 07-26-2023, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Hello. I will try this when I am in the boat and will update after this. Thanks for the feedback

Comment

Hello. I have now tried what you recommended but got nowhere. Got suzuki and serial number 1 more time without engine data showing on lowrance. When I turned the ignition off and on, only what was shown in the last picture on the previous post showed up. Seems like all hope is lost. Thinking of buying a new sd card and trying again with the file you sent via dropbox. When new iterface is not an off-the-shelf item, think about buying on e-bay due to the lower price. I am attaching 2 photos of the product I am thinking of ordering, so it would be nice if you Moonligther could have checked if this fits my engine?
                  It is very strange that lowrance does not update automatically with the sd card inserted before switching on lowrance. Can only load manually which
                  I don't like or have knowledge of . I updated it in 2015 with no problems
                  Thank you so much for the feedback
                  Attached Files

Comment

You are mistaken about expecting the Lowrance to automatically updating when you put the SD card in and turn it on. This ONLY WORKS FOR SOFTWARE UPDATES FOR THE LOWRANCE DISPLAY ITSELF.

For updating networked devices you have to turn the Lowrance on, insert the SD card, turn the engine key to on so that the engine interface is talking to the network, and then go into the Lowrance’s files menu, locate the SD card, select the update file, and upload it. Thats the only way.

You can try reloading it with the software again. And then, do the auto select for data sources again. If that doesn’t revive the existing interface cable, then I think you know what has to be done.

The part you linked to appears to be the correct interface cable. Part number ends in 357.

Comment

Hello. I have now tried all possibilities and good tips but there is no progress. The update indicates complete but restarts no matter what I do and try. There are 2 fields in upgrading, but one of them only says 'restart' and the next field says upgrading as shown in the picture. I probably messed it up right from the start and did something I shouldn't have done. I won't get a job in computer development, that's for sure. Have now ordered a new part and hope the problem will be solved. Will of course update in a few days. Thank you very much Moonligther for your help and support.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hello. Have connected sds up to the engine but get no data out of the engine. The engine starts running fine. Wondering if the ecm could be defective. There have been a few times with lost configuration of the tank/boat setup. Still waiting for new interface

Comment

Hello. Have run some updates in different variations with the files that are the latest on the sd card. Finally got everything working both smis and lowrance. Data first came to lowrance. Don't know yet what went wrong during previous attempts but luck was on my side this time. What remains is to find the problem to sds. It could be the PC that has a problem, hopefully. Thanks for the feedback and good and quick help from Moonligther.

Comment

Yes it could be the PC connection..

Otherwise I would be looking closely at the SDS plug on the engine, look for any damaged pins in the plug, any loose or damaged wires at the back of the plug. If you find anything of concern, the pins can be removed from the plugs as follows. From the pin end there are tiny tabs above each pin that can be lifted up and at the same time, gently pull the wire from the back of the plug and the wire and the pin slides out the back. You can then fix the connection and push the on back in until it clicks into place. I use a small screwdriver from a kit that is used to fix spectacles to lift the tabs up. You almost need 3 hands, or a helper to pull the wire while you lift the tab.

If you find no issues there then maybe there could be damage to the wires from that plug where it connects to the ecu. Carefully check the wire and then check the connections to the ecu.

FYI if there was something really bad with the ecu, the engine would simply not start and run. At least it would not run well.

Comment

Working...
                            X