Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

90 four-stroke; water pilot hole no-pee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 four-stroke; water pilot hole no-pee?

My 2003 Johnson/Suzuki did something new today. Was running fine, but I looked back and no water stream shooting out of the pee hole. No overheat alarm, all seemed normal.
    Pulled back to lower RPM, than to idle, no water stream.
    Was close to the dock, so came right in. Steam coming out of pee hole, but no actual water. Again, no overheat alarm or light.

When I've run it on the trailer with muffs, it's had good flow out the hole, and the exhaust when running. But also water coming out from various areas on the lower unit.

Big problem? Little problem? No problem?

Ed
    2003 Johnson/Suzuki 90 bolted to a Boston Whaler 17 Super Sport Limited

water pump has no rubber fins on it

Comment

thnx for adding me to group having a lil trouble starting a new thread so I will try this I have a 03 Suzuki 115 (2) and was wondering if these motors are nema 2000 capable would like to have as much info of motors on my garmin 942 xs so I can monitor them on screen as well as gauges thnx n advance and I will figure out how to start a new thread

Comment

Originally posted by FINATIK1 View Post
        water pump has no rubber fins on it

New water pump impeller, with just a couple hours on it. Probably has fins.

Comment

Ed would check the pee hose that runs from the engine block to the exit

If you have to.. remove the cowling and find where the hose connects to the block and pull it off and run a wire or heavy mono in to check for blockage
          A number of folks will try to do this from the pee hole but some have a difficult time getting the wire/mono very far due to the curves in the tubing.

that is #1
          then #2 would be to check the installation of the water pump a second time.
          making sure all the connections gaskets etc are correct.
          when you replaced the impeller did you replace all the parts or just the impeller itself?

Art

Comment

Thanks, Art. Will do.

I had a mobile "mechanic" redo the water pump, and I'm not sure what he replaced. But, considering he cracked off the anti-ventilation plate while pounding on it trying to remove the lower unit, I'm not at all confident in his abilities to do anything correctly.

Ed

Comment

That's not real good Ed. But the anti-vent plate can be repaired at a good welding shop, one familiar with welding aluminum.
              Another question, did he actually get the lower unit off, or give up and just say he replaced the parts?
              If he did get it off, i wonder if he lubricated the splines of the driveshaft putting it back together?

Good luck.

Comment

He did get the lower unit off, and replaced at least the impeller, though he referred to the service as "water pump replacement". I had the anti-ventilation plate welded back together.

I had hired him to look at why the motor wouldn't shift into reverse. First, he said it needed a new throttle quadrant assembly. When that didn't fix it, he declared it needed new cables. Still didn't work...

While doing these "repairs", he also did the water pump replacement, preventatively at my request. I suppose I should have called a halt to the festivities when I heard him banging away on my motor with a large hammer, but... He claimed to be an experienced "professional"... What do I know about removing stubborn lower units???

When he broke off a large chunk of the anti-vent plate, he said: "At this point, a shop would tell you just to buy a new motor" and: "These Suzuki's are known for breaking bolts and the lower units not coming off".

Unfortunately, he was well into the destruction / progress at this point. And, foolish me had paid him $1000 up front, so he could buy parts.

So... When he left: the motor STILL would not shift into reverse. The impeller was replaced, but the lower unit casting was damaged, and he wasn't going to do anything about it.

I then took the boat to Speedway Marine in Marysville WA, and they promptly "fixed" the reverse problem. It was a fairly simple adjustment. The motor has been shifting properly ever since.
                Last edited by TransFueler; 12-11-2017, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Fixed...

Thanks, Art. I snaked out the water line, and a fair amount of white scale (presumably salt) flushed out.

Excellent flow now.

I will remove & inspect the thermostat though, and run the motor in a vinegar/warm water solution for a bit as well. If I dislodged some scale, there's bound to be more lurking in the piping...

Ed

Comment

very good. quite an xperience!!!
                    can I assume you have some internal anodes ?
                    if you have that much gunk. the anodes probably need looking into as well
                    good luck
                    Art

Comment

And the biggest lesson: Be VERY careful about who you hire...

Comment

Working...
                      X