Trim issue, what to check??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim issue, what to check??

For those interested, my previous issue was fixed, kinda... You can read that on the other thread I made about my dt150 not going over 2500rpm.

New issue though. Running a 13 1/4"x18 pitch 3 blade prop solved most of my running issues, along with fixing a leaking fuel filter and a few other small things that I can't remember.

Issue now is that I can only turn 4500ish rpm at wot, which is about 40mph gps. Can't go much smaller in pitch, engine seems to rev to the limiter at around 6k and does it easily when not under load... Not that I would bounce the limiter for the fun of it but I needed to verify that it could do it.

Took the boat out again for a short jaunt yesterday and noticed that while pegged at WOT the motor wouldn't trim up. It remained trimmed almost all the way down and at wot I was crashing my nose down into the waves instead of lifting the bow and skipping over them like it should. I'm not sure at what rpm the load became too much for the trim to function but it doesn't really matter...I need to get this issue fixed. Besides checking fluid level, what would be the next step or steps so I can check everything that is important to check.

In this picture I was at wot...4500rpm @ 33mph. According to the line level tool on my iphone that top green line is at 9 degrees so it's definitely trimmed down. This rig should easily be in the 50's.... Running 30-35 is getting embarrassing
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Importkillerrr; 09-29-2023, 01:34 AM.

review the parts list for the Clamp Bracket
    part 13
    that is the limiter for up/down travel
    Art

Comment

I think I know the main issue here.... I leveled the boat and the engine and measured how low my prop to pad is and I'm at 6 5/8" . Motors currently mounted on the top holes so I have 3 holes and close to 4" of adjustment left. Now how the hell do I go about lifting this outboard without a crane or hoist?!? Hmmm...

Comment

Look at the sticky thread in the top section of this forum that deals with selecting propellors. It has a detailed post on how to lift engines using the boat trailer method. Lifting a 115 will be straightforward using that method.

Comment

Seems to me that a DF150 with that small a prop should be turning a lot faster than 4500RPM. In fact, I don't know why you're not over-revving all the time. My DF150 is turning a 16x18½ prop and runs 5900-6000RPM at WOT. It's a moderate deadrise v-bottom 20 footer with a T-top and maxes out about 35-36MPH.
          Mike
          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
            Look at the sticky thread in the top section of this forum that deals with selecting propellors. It has a detailed post on how to lift engines using the boat trailer method. Lifting a 115 will be straightforward using that method.
            I've got a150, not a 115.

I got the motor lifted last night. The trailer tongue method did nothing, the motor wouldn't budge. I ended up leveling the trailer, attaching a strap from one of the transom tie down eyelets to the other to keep the motor from falling backwards and making a really bad day. Then I just jacked up from the bottom of the bracket and it slowly slid up the transom. I'm at around 4" now, not perfect but better than almost 7

Comment

Originally posted by Harper View Post
              Seems to me that a DF150 with that small a prop should be turning a lot faster than 4500RPM. In fact, I don't know why you're not over-revving all the time. My DF150 is turning a 16x18½ prop and runs 5900-6000RPM at WOT. It's a moderate deadrise v-bottom 20 footer with a T-top and maxes out about 35-36MPH.
              I agree completely but I don't have a DF150.. I have an old 1991 DT150 2 stroke. I still thought it should spin it, That's why I had one of my performance 4 blades on it... It should of been able to spin that prop but it only could turn it 2500rpm. Then again, the original prop on this motor from the dealer was this exact prop so maybe not. All cylinders tested out at within 10% of each other with the best at around 175 iirc. I'll find my compression tester and retest today.
              Last edited by Importkillerrr; 09-30-2023, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Importkillerrr View Post

I agree completely but I don't have a DF150.. I have an old 1991 DT150 2 stroke. I still thought it should spin it, That's why I had one of my performance 4 blades on it... It should of been able to spin that prop but it only could turn it 2500rpm. Then again, the original prop on this motor from the dealer was this exact prop so maybe not. All cylinders tested out at within 10% of each other with the best at around 175 iirc. I'll find my compression tester and retest today.
                Oh yeah, sorry ....misread those small dt letters. Old eyes, ya know.
                Mike
                μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Originally posted by Harper View Post

Oh yeah, sorry ....misread those small dt letters. Old eyes, ya know.
                  Oh I understand completely. My cell phone is used more for taking pictures of stuff to enlarge so I can read it than it is for phone calls

I'll have more news after we go out on Wednesday. It has to be better, I mean this prop was buried so deep Ron Jeremy would be jealous.

Comment

Working...
                  X