2015 DF140 Water in Cylinders & Head - Oil sludge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 DF140 Water in Cylinders & Head - Oil sludge

Hi Guys, if I'm not posting on the right place please help me out.

I have 2x 2015 model DF140's on my Fishing vessel. Total hours, just under 900
    They are always serviced like clock work & I do about 100hrs per month in season. The last service was less than a month ago.

On taking the boat out this past weekend the stb motor went into limp mode as we were leaving the harbour & the oil light stayed on.
    Upon inspection, the oil was bone dry at the dipstick (trip before it was fine) & the oil at the filler cap was like a sludge. The power head was also full of oil blowout.

The suzuki dealership has taken the motor apart & has the following to report:
    • Oil blown out of breather pipe
    • Sparkplugs, valves, cylinders etc rusted
    • Oil is a complete sludge inside the motor
    • NO water in oil
    • Head gasket is fine
    • Pressure test is low

They also say that there is no mechanical failure that could be found...
    What on earth could have gone wrong here?
    Attached Files

What pressure test is low?
    Regards, Martin
    DF200 2007

Comment

pressure test done on the cylinders.

Comment

With that much blow bye I would have to say hole in piston.

Comment

Originally posted by grotekoning View Post
          Hi Guys, if I'm not posting on the right place please help me out.

I have 2x 2015 model DF140's on my Fishing vessel. Total hours, just under 900
          They are always serviced like clock work & I do about 100hrs per month in season. The last service was less than a month ago.

On taking the boat out this past weekend the stb motor went into limp mode as we were leaving the harbour & the oil light stayed on.
          Upon inspection, the oil was bone dry at the dipstick (trip before it was fine) & the oil at the filler cap was like a sludge. The power head was also full of oil blowout.

The suzuki dealership has taken the motor apart & has the following to report:
          • Oil blown out of breather pipe
          • Sparkplugs, valves, cylinders etc rusted
          • Oil is a complete sludge inside the motor
          • NO water in oil
          • Head gasket is fine
          • Pressure test is low

They also say that there is no mechanical failure that could be found...
          What on earth could have gone wrong here?
          '''''''' When you checked the oil last trip, was that before you went out or when you got back home. It sounds like water has been able to fill the sump and push the oil out of the breather while mixing with it.
          By the sounds of it they have only pulled the head off, I would think the bottom end bearings would be shagged it this happened on the way in if the oil was checked before you went out and not checked when you got home.

The pumping action of the pistons would have turned everything into sludge, when the crankcase fills there is no room for the crankcase pressure to go except out the breather. If water had got into the combustion chamber first, you would have picked it up straight away because the engine would have been missing.

This could turn out to be a very expensive problem if the engine is fully dismantled and no problem found

Comment

Originally posted by wilbur1 View Post
            With that much blow bye I would have to say hole in piston.
            ''''''''I wouldn't think so mate, if it had a hole in a piston you would drop a cyl, yes the crankcase pressure would be higher but there would be no water with the oil and the engine would be missing, and it would be only oil being pushed out the breather.

Comment

Originally posted by redlowrey View Post
              '''''''' When you checked the oil last trip, was that before you went out or when you got back home. It sounds like water has been able to fill the sump and push the oil out of the breather while mixing with it.
              By the sounds of it they have only pulled the head off, I would think the bottom end bearings would be shagged it this happened on the way in if the oil was checked before you went out and not checked when you got home.

The pumping action of the pistons would have turned everything into sludge, when the crankcase fills there is no room for the crankcase pressure to go except out the breather. If water had got into the combustion chamber first, you would have picked it up straight away because the engine would have been missing.

This could turn out to be a very expensive problem if the engine is fully dismantled and no problem found
              This is the odd part, there was no water in sump oil, the oil was however a sludge.. well, the remaining oil that was left after most was shot out the breather.
              The water was only noticeable in the head & cylinders. But the engine was idling fine & running fine.

Comment

Working...
              X