No announcement yet.

Nmea 2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s fairly easy to adapt the round plug to square, all you need to do is remove 3 wires/pins from the round plug and insert them into the square plug. You dont even remove the round plug. I can send instructions if you like as I was selling some kits myself where we did that.

Ive had a look at the website you refer to and saw that they have the interface setup for pre 2008 engines on “backorder”. My conclusion is that they have to source the old model interface cables somewhere, they may have arrangements with several repower Suzuki dealers to find them. If they were actually manufacturing the cables they would be available all the time, and as far as I know, nobody has managed to do that.

The rest of the components they sell are simply standard NMEA2000 components. Cheaply bought in starter kits.

The only other thing is the SDS adapter cable - and its so easily made its not funny. I have previously posted the wiring arrangements for that cable, and I can point you to a reliable and inexpensive supplier of the plugs.

Despite them trumpeting about using shielded cable etc, in my experience its not needed. But heck - if you buy a NMEA2000 starter kit they nearly always come with a 20ft extension cable and you can simply cut the ends off that and use it.

Bottom line - the hardest part is finding a old model interface cable that you are sure is in proper working order. I MIGHT be able to find one from my local sources here in Australia, but if I can, its not going to be cheap…. Let me know if you want me to check.

Comment

Thanks.
      Info about where to purchase the square would be good,same with instructions. I got the impression that they are using the 2.9 interface, dont you think that will work,for instance with Simrad IS35?

Comment

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/0hif7...zw0fit7ar&dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/u6f4w...s4as4kxbt&dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vnl100cyl0...0V2.pages?dl=0

the photos at the links show the pin positions at the engine and interface module ends of the sds adapter cable.

the instructions include a link to Eastern Beaver motorcycle parts connectors in Japan for the plugs. The square plug to replace the round plug is the F version of the plugs used on the sds cable.

Regarding which interface cable version they use, I am not sure. The question mark about version 2.9 is that there was a V 2.9 in the old style cable, and a version 2.9 in the new style cable. The current available V 2.9 new cable is V2.9.4 and it woeks with engines back to 2008. Some people have used it with earlier engines after changing the round plug to square, but it seems like it works for some, and not for others.

So I am very reluctant to recommend it because it may end up being a waste of money. Again, I suspect they use the earlier version cable because the new V2.9.4 cable is faireasily available to purchase, so there would be no reason for it to be on backorder.

Re the earlier version cable, I always recommend V 2.30 for older engines. I just find its the most reliable version. That, or V 2.5.0.

The last 2 photos in the attached document shows the pin placement in the square plug. You simply remove the coloured wires attached to their pins from the round plug and insert them into the square plug. The document has some extra details.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ns90sqty6y...9%202.pdf?dl=0

Comment

I tried to post a reply with details and links but it has put it on hold pending approval.

if you want the info, PM me.

I tried to PM you but you have PMs turned off.

Comment

Replied to your PM

Comment

Working...
            X