X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering almost blocked

Hi all,

my steering was hard since a long time,
    I assumed it was due to the cable (not an hydraulic system) needed to be greased...but I did not tried to verify my assumption...
    to bad I just had to unscrew the bar and try to turn the outboard with my hand...

I always move right and left wheel when I start the engine so the previous time it was hard but I could move it.
    it was like 2 or 3 weeks ago.

last time, no way,
    so I did unscrew to detach the steering system from the engine. and tried manuallly.
    I tried and tried...and managed to make it move.
    but not like it should.

what should I test or do?
    is it due to corrosion ?
    should I replace a part ?
    should I just do greasing ?....yes it has not been greased for more than a year.

thanks for your advises.

Gildas

Gildas
    you didn’t say how old your engine is
    but would assume from your comments you have not greased the fittings
    find the grease fittings and lube them well until the lube comes out of the ends
    you may need to work this in several times
    then post back results
    art...

Comment

Checked my manual (2009 DF90) re steering components. Worst case scenario your streering bracket/swivel bracket is seized. In my manual Suzuki want you to "Remove engine/oil pan and driveshaft housing..." When you "unscrew the bar" did you check the steering? How does the wheel turn without the engine hooked up? Based on what I read, disassembly would be a last resort, a lot of work. You state it hasn't been greased for a year so that's where I'd start. Maybe it's a combination of no grease and stiff/seized cables.

Comment

Hi Murray

thanx for your reply,

without the engine hooked I can easily turn the wheel.

first, engine was not moving at all and I managed to make it go from left to right by hand, without the wheel connected.
        but it is hard.

I tried to grease but it looks like the grease can't go in, so all the new grease is spilled.

the old grease which I can see at the bottow of "steering axle" is very sticky.

So I definitly have to get rid of all the old grease to replace it, but how can I take (push ?) it off ?

artdf175 the engine is about 10 years old.

thanks for you advises.

Comment

photo of the grease spilled out
          and at the end , excess of old grease, I did took off some to see.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by gildas View Post
            Hi Murray

thanx for your reply,

without the engine hooked I can easily turn the wheel.

first, engine was not moving at all and I managed to make it go from left to right by hand, without the wheel connected.
            but it is hard.

I tried to grease but it looks like the grease can't go in, so all the new grease is spilled.

the old grease which I can see at the bottow of "steering axle" is very sticky.

So I definitly have to get rid of all the old grease to replace it, but how can I take (push ?) it off ?

artdf175 the engine is about 10 years old.

thanks for you advises.

You will have to replace grease zirk. I think they are standard threads for grease fittings but not sure so check first. Metric/Imperial?? You may be able to soak it in Varsol and reuse it but zirks are inexpensive. Once you get it to accept grease I would give it 4-5 pumps then turn the engine, repeat as many times till fresh grease starts to appear at the top and bottom. The first thing you will likely see will be water, hopefully not much, then the old grease should start getting pushed out. With any luck the turning of the engine will get easier as you get more grease in. Don't forget to clean all the exterior grease up, it will end up in your house somehow. Hope it works for you.

Reread Art's post above, I'm saying the same thing.
            Last edited by Murray; 12-21-2017, 06:52 PM.

Comment

thanks Murray
              I had a talk with another guy who suggested as you did to remove/clean/replace the zerk so I will start with that. and do what you tell then.

what does "grease fittings" mean ?

thanks for your hints.

​​​​​​​Gildas

Comment

Grease fitting=zirk

Comment

Hi all,

talk with the local suzuki expert.
                  the problem is due to a lack of maintenance...the grease is old, mixed with salt water with effect to expand.
                  a "solution" is to heat with a blowpipe.

I am a bit afraid to do tthat, did anyone done something like that ??

thanx a lot

Gildas

Comment

I guess you could try heating the steering and swivel brackets hopeing the old grease will soften up and be easier to expel. I don’t know what a “blowpipe” is. To apply heat use an electric heat gun. No open flame. Good luck.

Comment

So "blowpipe" might not be the right word.
                      it is with a flame...
                      I will check what I can find as a heat gun

Comment

Do you have an Service Manual? If not then I’d suggest you get one. Got a feeling you’re going to need it.

Comment

I have a pdf version .
                          why do you say I will need it ?
                          if the repair is too tricky or need too much tools I won't be able to do it myself .
                          thanx

Comment

gildas
                            I would use a heat gun, carefully.
                            heat the shaft housing until it is warm to the touch
                            then try the grease gun and repeat until you feel you have pretty much have good clean grease exiting
                            Art

Comment

Hi all,
                              It took me a few months..but finally
                              I used a heat gun, cleaned the zirk and managed to get old grease out.

as you can see on pictures only a little is coming at the bottom of the shaft, and not all around
                              but quite a lot managed to come out from below (don't know the name) . Not sure it is normal since that "ring" at the bottom as some corrosion.
                              And I have nothing coming at upper side of the shaft

So far it does not make a difference, I can move the engine right and left by hand but with a lot of difficulty.

I plan to go back and try again to heat up and put grease, in the mean time your comments and advises are very welcome.

thanx and regards
                              Gildas
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X