E10 petrol again..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E10 petrol again..

Since E10 petrol entered the market, we see in Norway that fewer and fewer stations are offering E5. As I understand, this E10 petrol will generate water when standing still over time.
    From younger days we always ran the engine unplugging the petrol hose when entering the harbour to empty the carborator, fuel pump and float chamber to avoid building of unwated stuff in these parts.
    Perhaps this should even be more important now when using E10?

I’ve always been nervous of running a fuel pump dry since the fuel helps cool and lubricate the fuel pump. I use a fuel stabilizer to prevent phase separation but I’m lucky and can still get pure fuel. I’ve been told that since I use a non ethanol fuel I’m wasting my money but I figure I’m still getting the cleaning properties. I do not drain the fuel prior to winter storage but add an extra shot of stabilizer on the last run of the season. So far I’ve had no issues.

Comment

I've used nothing but non-ethanol gas for the 15 years that I've had the boat and motor (purchased new). I have a 60 gallon tank that I keep pretty much full. I rarely use over 20 of those gallons a year, and have never had a problem. Only additive I use is Star Tron.
      Mike
      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

DO NOT run the engine dry of fuel like was commonly done in the old 2 stroke days. Unless you want to be replacing expensive fuel pumps, that is. Bad idea on any modern efi engines.

Its unnecessary in any case. E-10 or E5 does not “generate” water.

It can only absorb it from the air when it is exposed. Therefore the fuel that is already in the fuel lines, fuel pumps, and injector rails can not be affected because it is not exposed to the air.

More importantly, YOU DO HAVE AN INLINE WATER SEPARATING FUEL FILTER between the tank and engine, don’t you?? These are absolutely essential regardless of whether you use an ethanol laced fuel or straight unleaded. They are the things that will filter out water and any other contaminants before they reach the engine.

The fuel tank is where moisture in the air can come into contact with the fuel via the vent and the fuel may absorb that moisture over time. So keep the tank full when the boat is stored to minimise the surface area and treat it with fuel stabiliser. The stabiliser will maintain the fuel’s octane and absorb any small amounts of water so its safe to run through the engine.

RACOR are the most commonly used and highly regarded water separating fuel filter brand and the version that has the bowl underneath that allows you to see water and drain it out through the little vent are the ones most of us use.

There are plenty of fuel stabilisers available, just use one of them in your fuel tank. A popular one in Australia is Fuel Doctor. Use it in my diesel 4WD and my Suzuki.

Comment

Ethanol fuel is blamed for every fault experienced, it is portrayed as the boogey man, but, reality is very different………millions of cars and boats happily use E10 without any issues at all.

Comment

Thanks Moonlighter, its correct what you wrote, it was in the old 2 stroke days.

Comment

Working...
            X