04 df140 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 04 df140 ?

Had the motor on a 17' flats boat for about two months. Ran the boat to 6000 rpm on test ride and up around there a few times for a few seconds, no problems. Had the boat out last week and it ran flawlessly until I got to around 5700 rpms, it then acted like the rev limiter kicked in and would drop to under 3000 rpms, then continue to run fine. As long as I stayed under 5700 the motor ran fine, I ran it up again to around 5700 on the way in and it did again. Checked the oil and raycor and everything seemed fine, and water pump was pumping. I had no lights or buzzers when it kicked down to under 3000. I have only ran 90 rec fuel and the previous owner said he only ran ethanol free fuel also. I had some issues with the tach in the past jumping around and not working, I rewired the boat and didn't notice any after that. Is there a possibility the tach is off? or is it a motor issue. It just came due for its 200 hour service and I'm running a 4 blade powertech prop. Been a lurker for a while with not much to contibute because I am new to the suzuki motor and still learning. Thanks in advance and appreciate all the help1

I don't have my manual available, right now, but I think you hit the rpm limiter. I think the DF140 top end is 5700 >5800 rpms

Comment

My manual says 5800 to 6000. I have had the motor to around 6000 prior to this, but just for a few moments. When I hit around 5700 it is instantaneous, and it acts exactly like the rev limiter kicked in. I don't understand, loaded or not 6000 is 6000 rpms, the weight shouldn't effect the rpms. Could my tach be off, needs calibration? Because the manual states that it will drop to 3000 when the rev limiter kicks in but mine drops to around 2500 or so? I still have alot of throttle throw left when this happens.

Comment

Anybody ever had a tach be out of calibration or off? THinking this might be the problem.

Comment

I have an 2008 DF 140. The manual states that the top rpm range is between 5600 up to max 6200. On my Buster XL 18" aluboat at about 600 kgs i have had up to 6300 (if my revcounter is precise) with about 47 knots and have not yet hit the revlimiter This is with an 14"x23 original Suzuki alupropeller. Can`t wait to try out my new PT-Propellers 14X23 Stainless Steel propeller

Comment

Originally posted by FLDXT08 View Post
            Had the motor on a 17' flats boat for about two months. Ran the boat to 6000 rpm on test ride and up around there a few times for a few seconds, no problems. Had the boat out last week and it ran flawlessly until I got to around 5700 rpms, it then acted like the rev limiter kicked in and would drop to under 3000 rpms, then continue to run fine. As long as I stayed under 5700 the motor ran fine, I ran it up again to around 5700 on the way in and it did again. Checked the oil and raycor and everything seemed fine, and water pump was pumping. I had no lights or buzzers when it kicked down to under 3000. I have only ran 90 rec fuel and the previous owner said he only ran ethanol free fuel also. I had some issues with the tach in the past jumping around and not working, I rewired the boat and didn't notice any after that. Is there a possibility the tach is off? or is it a motor issue. It just came due for its 200 hour service and I'm running a 4 blade powertech prop. Been a lurker for a while with not much to contibute because I am new to the suzuki motor and still learning. Thanks in advance and appreciate all the help1
            Maybe starving for fuel. rev limited does not cut back to 3000. check your bulb and hoses

Comment

It should rev to 6500 before the limiter cuts in and it will bring it back to 3000 rpm, only dick heads run engines at those revs,

Comment

Originally posted by redlowrey View Post
                "only dick heads run engines at those revs",
                Oh really? where the heck did that come from? haha

Comment

Working...
                X