No announcement yet.

DF50 2007 Won´t Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do this simple test pull the single spade wire off the starter solinoid connect a jumper wire to the spade on the solinoid, lift the fast idle leever up a bit squrt a bit of fuel into the throttle plate turn key on then touch the battery cable on the solinoid with the other end of the jumper wire and the starter should oparate, keep clear of the fly wheel it should run on the fuel that was squrted into the throttle plate. I am sure the engine will have ignition and spark even though there will be no injection because the neutral switch is open.

Comment

Thanks mate, but wait one.... as I said earlier, the fuel pump is working fine -

Originally posted by Maninmanaus View Post
      ...Turning the key, the usual beep goes, the rev counter shows the hours, and the fuel pump works. Turn it further, and...nothing (except the fuel pump).
      - does this mean we can rule out the neutral switch straight away?? Er, or not..?

Comment

Redlowrey - Finally managed to get to the boat today. In spite of my misgivings, decided to take your advice and go straight for the neutral switches. I was going to dismount and dismantle the RC unit first, but frankly couldn't face it, so I started with the switch at the engine end. It seemed okay to the touch, with the throttle armature snug against it. I decided to put the selector into Fwd, to take the pressure off the switch, and when I came back to the switch, I could feel straight away that it was somehow loose in its fitting. Decided to remove the switch completely (not the easiest of access, but anyway...) and as soon as I pulled at it it basically fell apart. Took it off, and tested continuity just for the heck of it, and it was fine - the problem was simply that the screw thread was split in two and the switch itself therefore loose in its mounting. Replaced the switch and hey presto - all restored to normal (well the starter motor is operational - final proof will be tomorrow when I get the boat back in the water). In short, you were absolutely right , and I tip my hat to you for that - many thanks.

It is interesting that they say in the manual that "when using the emergency start procedure, the "start-in gear" safety system will not work...", which appears to be total nonsense (or am I just reading it wrong?). I believed it because the fuel pump runs fine; however I've now realised this is irrelevant if the injectors don't work - and I can confirm now that this is the case.

Once I've confirmed that all is well tomorrow I'll make a final post here. Fingers crossed! Thanks again.

Comment

Finally have time to finish this one off. Took the boat out and all was fine. An old problem has reappeared though (occasionally dies when moving from gear into neutral), but I'll search the forum for this and/or start another thread.

Have ordered a Mercury 5hp 2-stroke back-up now (smallest Suzuki they do here is a 15hp, which is just too heavy for me), which will get me out of immediate trouble in future (albeit slowly).

Thanks again to all - especially Redlowrey. Great forum and I will try to repay the help I got by contributing where I can.

Comment

Thanks again Redlowrey. Good idea, and I´ll dig out my multimeter - but where do I stick it (no rude suggestions, please!)? I don´t have a service manual (although I´ve trawled the internet looking for one- any ideas?) - just the owner´s manual, which has the wiring diagram at the back. I can identify two neutral switches (one that seems to be in the remote control unit, and the other in the engine), and the two relays ´Starter´ and ´ECM Main´ (I know where these are).
            your neutral switch is where the cable connects to the shifter just below the intake manifold,you can get a service manual from the people who host this website,I'm sure they have anything you need

Comment

Thanks again Redlowrey. Good idea, and I´ll dig out my multimeter - but where do I stick it (no rude suggestions, please!)? I don´t have a service manual (although I´ve trawled the internet looking for one- any ideas?) - just the owner´s manual, which has the wiring diagram at the back. I can identify two neutral switches (one that seems to be in the remote control unit, and the other in the engine), and the two relays ´Starter´ and ´ECM Main´ (I know where these are).
              If you follow the shift cable into the motor cover you can see where it attaches to the shift linkage and just behind this is the neutral lock out switch,I have a DF 50 2007 and I own a shop manual,I'll try to help with information from it!

Comment

neutral lockout switch

The neutral lock out switch is below the intake manifold and in front of the oil filter,you'll see the switch where the shift cable connects to the shift linkage,I have the same motor as you and I have a shop manual,I can look up info if that helps,you are way of the beaten trail,good luck and Suzuki parts are very expensive here in the USA also!

Comment

Working...
                X