Oil pressure light stays on, 2003 DF70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pressure light stays on, 2003 DF70

Oil pressure light came on last time out and stayed on. Checked oil the next day and oil was a little higher than the upper level mark on dipstick, so if anything it had too much oil in it. Am I making oil or what? Would too high of oil level cause warning system light to come on and stay on. Changed out oil and oil had slight gas smell to it. Did not have an extra new oil drain screw gasket so reused the old one (is this a bad idea?) and it was a steel gasket is this even the right one? It tightened up well but then after adding just a little too much oil had to back off screw and let a little excess drain out. When I tightened down the drain screw this time it tightens some and then slips and tightens again (is the screw maybe stripped) but not very tight before it slips again. If it is stripped I hope it is just the screw and not the threads on the lower unit oil drain opening. Any and all advice welcome. Thanks!
    Last edited by Steveinsene; 10-11-2011, 12:56 PM.

First, I have heard others on here with issues of a cam shaft failure that drives the oil pump. This would be something I would have a service center check. Next, you have probably striped the drain hole as it is aluminum and the drain plug is steel. Not the end of the world as it can be retapped and repaired, but a lesson in the need for a torque wrench when tightening bolts on our motors.

Comment

Check this thread for a similar problem: http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/s...ht-buzzer.html

Comment

Do the obvious thing, remove the sender and check the oil pressure. If you have good pressure check the sender and electrics, if you have low or no oil pressure you have got big problems.

Comment

Thanks a bunch guys, do you think too much oil could cause the oil light to come on, and also what is the sender.

Comment

Started the motor briefly after oil change today and now the oil light is flashing. My dealer is half hr away normally but with a bridge and road closure because of this summers historic flooding on the Missouri River it is now a 2 hr drive. How does a person check the oil pressure? Suppose I will make the drive.

Comment

Is it possible that the light is blinking to show that it is time for service and then needs to be reset after service to turn the light off.

Comment

I dont know about a 2003 but late df motors the light will flash when due for a change. How many hours on the clock, for piece of mind I would pull the oil pressure switch out and check the pessure, I have heard a few DF70 engines have been breaking camshafts. You don't have to go to a marine mechanic to do that, an auto mehanic would be able to do that for you.

Comment

Many times if the motor runs good, but the oil light is on, it is time for an oil change and must be reset manually. A service manual will tell you how to reset the oil light.
                  Regards
                  Boats.net
                  Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
                    Many times if the motor runs good, but the oil light is on, it is time for an oil change and must be reset manually. A service manual will tell you how to reset the oil light.

Thanks everyone, turns out it was time for an oil change and then computer had to be reset manually. For anyone needing to do this here is how. Turn key but not starting motor, push in on kill switch and then within 10 seconds pull out the kill switch 3 times...computer is now reset. What a huge relief it was not something major.
                    Last edited by Steveinsene; 10-13-2011, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X