Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lapping/cutting valves on 2002 df140

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and wondered if y'all could help me answer a question.

First off, I have 2002 df140 which blew a head gasket. I've removed the head and refinished. When the head gasket blew I was getting water in cylinder #3 subsequently causing some minor rusting on the valves. The cylinders appear to be in great shape with no pitting or rust. The valves do have some very minor surface rust but no pitting and in otherwise great shape.

While I have the head removed I would like to clean up the affected valve seats and faces by lapping or maching them. Here's my dilemma:

The Suzuki factory manual clearly states that the valves can be serviced. They even go as far as providing the exact angles and cutter numbers for servicing the seats. However, in speaking with a Suzuki repair shop and a local motorcycle repair shop they advise against servicing the valves because, according to them, these valves have a special coating (satellite?) which will be removed by lapping/maching leading to eventual valve failure. I have two conflicting opinions from two authoritative sources......

Does anyone know if the Suzuki 4 stroke outboards use this coating?

Does anyone have experience servicing these valves?

Any advice y'all can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Benji

Originally posted by Benjid View Post
    Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and wondered if y'all could help me answer a question.

First off, I have 2002 df140 which blew a head gasket. I've removed the head and refinished. When the head gasket blew I was getting water in cylinder #3 subsequently causing some minor rusting on the valves. The cylinders appear to be in great shape with no pitting or rust. The valves do have some very minor surface rust but no pitting and in otherwise great shape.

While I have the head removed I would like to clean up the affected valve seats and faces by lapping or maching them. Here's my dilemma:

The Suzuki factory manual clearly states that the valves can be serviced. They even go as far as providing the exact angles and cutter numbers for servicing the seats. However, in speaking with a Suzuki repair shop and a local motorcycle repair shop they advise against servicing the valves because, according to them, these valves have a special coating (satellite?) which will be removed by lapping/maching leading to eventual valve failure. I have two conflicting opinions from two authoritative sources......

Does anyone know if the Suzuki 4 stroke outboards use this coating?

Does anyone have experience servicing these valves?

Any advice y'all can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Benji

Stellite is the alloy the seats & possibly valves are made of. I would lap with a fine compound to clean up any surface rust & not worry about it. Have a good one!

Comment

You can face the valves and cut the seats, probably the reason they did not want to because they did not have the shim asortment to set the bucket clearance up.

Comment

Thanks for the input thus far...

The reason they don't want the valves to be serviced is because it will remove the stellite coating causing the valves to cup and eventually fail.

UPDATE: I reread the manual in more detail last night it does state that out of spec valves should be replaced. The valve seats can be serviced.

Does this make sense?

Comment

Working...
        X