DF150 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF150 help

Good Afternoon I am new to the forum. Just took my new used boat on the water and both DF150s ran great for the first couple of hours. They are 2006 mothers with 350 hours on them. After a couple of hours my port motor cut out when running about 3400 rpms. Its sounds like it wants to start for about a second but then dies. Found that I couldn't get the primer bulb to fill. After making it in on one engine I changed the water fuel separator, inline fuel filter, and priming bulb. The bulb worked fine after I installed the new one and tried to start it and it fired for about a second and died again. Tried three times and waited every time for the motor to go through the test. The primer bulb would not prime after three tries. Checked the antisyphon valve and it looks like it was removed and replaced with just a barbed pipe fitting. Put the lines backed together and the priming bulb worked fine but still had the same results. The motor would not run but acted like it wanted to and after three tries it would not prime. Didn't really want to start taking parts off the motor if the issue is somewhere else. Checked the white wire and all fuses and coils and everything is working correctly. The other motor on the same fuel tank runs fine. No error codes on either motor. I think its a fuel issue but not sure why my fuel line wont prime. Any suggestions would be great.

Sounds like you've covered a lot of troubleshooting steps already. Is there some way that you can switch the fuel lines somewhere between the tanks and the motors?
    Mike

Comment

The fuels line are right beside each other. That was my next step before going into the motor fuel system. I will try that in the morning. Thanks for the input

Comment

Swapped the fuel lines this morning and still the same issue. I don't think the bulb not priming has anything to do with it because is still didn't prime for the other motor and it ran fine. Guess ill start checking the fuel system on the motor itself. The motor fires and tries to start but just for a second. When checking the oil control valve (ocv), can you here it actuate? Thanks

Comment

I am not sure on the OCV Harper may be able to answer
          however, did you try draining the high pressure reseravor to see if is contaminated
          there is a screw at the bottom that will drain the contents
          when you turn the key to first on position before engaging starter, you should hear the high pressure pump presurize..
          it just sounds like you are not getting any fuel

the other thing.. you say the bulb won't prime.. does that mean that it is hard
          and just can't get fuel to pass through?
          just undue the fuel line in front of the low pressure fuel pump on the back of the motor and.. try priming again and see if you get fuel to pass through
          it should go through very easily..Art

Comment

The primer bulb isn't getting hard and I can hear the fuel when the other one primes but the not priming issue is following the gas tank connection. Im going to pull the plug now on the pump to check to see how the fuel looks. When the motor starts for the brief second there is smoke coming out of the exhaust and compared to the other motor which doesn't really smoke much its like a 2 stroke. Im checking the fuel now and but if its clear is it possible its getting to much fuel. Ill pull the plugs to check if they are covered in fuel but not sure if that will give me my answer. Thanks for all the ideas and input

Comment

there are two things with the bulb..
              first check he fuel direction.. secondly if I am rembering correctly the bulb should be straight up and down.. fuel line to motor on top as there is a flapper valve inside
              if it didn't prime on the other motor then I think you have found part of the problelm the other motor will run because the fuel system is full and basically does not need priming.. I never have to prime mine..no matter how long between trips..
              but in your case with no fuel you are going to have to get the air out of the system by priming

Art

Comment

Checked the fuel and it is perfect. Not even any floaties in the fuel. I can hear the fuel pump come on and run it runs the test and she fires but just doesn't run after the initial fire up on start. Next step?

Comment

I had some fuel issues with my 115 4 stroke. I changed all line including under cowling. My low pressure pumped failed as well. I changed that as well. When priming fuel bulb does the low pressure filter fill up. If it's like my 115 when I prime mine you can see the fuel fill up there. That will at least show no blockages that far.
                  2005 Carolina Skiff DLX 2007 Suzuki DF 115 4 Stroke

Comment

Pull the plugs out and have a look at them and see whether they are wet, dry or have water on them, and note what cyl they came out of. Does not sound good smoke or steam coming out of exhaust.

Comment

df150, running issues

After checking plugs.
                      Might check oil to see if contaminated by water or fuel.
                      Also, does your motor have a high pressure fuel filter before the fuel injector rail?
                      Sorry, Wish I knew more about these df motors.
                      Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions and I will check them all when I get back in town. Leays work out of town when I want to get something done at the house. Thanks again

Comment

Changed my plugs, have good readings on my injector coils, I have fire, have good high pressure fuel pressure, still will not completely fire up. I understand the function of the fuel vapor seperator but I am wondering if these systems could be caused by a float sticking or a worn needle inside the seperator? High pressure furl pump is fine and checked the high fuel filter also. Does anyone know the best way to check it? They seem a bit pricey to change. Thanks for any help

Comment

df150, running issues

Check the cam position sensor. See if it's got a good reading.
                            Good luck. Let us know.

Comment

Easy fix after all

Ended up taking my boat in to the shop and they found that the air idler control valve wasn't working. Sure was glad it was an easy fix. Not a bad price either. Thanks for every ones help.

Comment

Working...
                              X