Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 df 70

Hello,

This motor is getting spark and fuel and has compression!! However it will not start it acts like the timing is really retarded when you crank it over it burns exhaust every once in a while it will start for about 3 seconds!!!

My friend replaced the Crank and Map sensor and also plugged a known good computer into it and nothing!!!

I don't work on Suzuki's this thing is really making me mad!!!!! By all intensive purposes it should start and run but will not!!

Also this happened once before it was doing the same thing then it just stopped doing it and worked fine for several months that is why he was leaning toward an electrical problem!!!

Any ideas would be very much appreciated!!!!

Thanks

Have you tried lifting the warm up leaver right up so the throttle is open, the iac valve might not be bypassing enough air for it to start and run. If the throttle plate is gummed up in the idle position and air can't get passed it, and the iac doe's not bypass air the engine will never start.

Comment

Yes Sir I have tried to lift the warm up lever!!!!! In the morning I am going to pull the flywheel and see if perhaps the flywheel key is broken!!! I have seen that on 15hp suzuki motors maybe I will get lucky!!! I have never seen that on a larger motor but I am out of ideas!!!! ANd my anger level is rising thanks!!!! Any more ideas folks!!!! I appreciate your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you again!!!!!

Comment

df70, 2005, won't start

Just recently had another member post this

DF70A need help! Won't start! pangelinan75
        Took all comments and carefully followed each option, but in the end it was a dirty IAC. But during the course of this, it has taught me what to look for. Thanksagain to all!

Apparently he found his IAC valve was dirty, causing the problem.
        redlowery may be trying to help.
        Last edited by Solarman; 12-10-2014, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Hell I am going to try it what do I have to lose I am stuck!!! What do I have to lose!!!

Comment

df70, not running

Just let us know if it does any good.

Comment

Give us more history on the engine, did it stop straight away, has it been running rough and gradualy got worse. what were the compression readings, how do you know the fuel pressure is right and it is injecting fuel, did you pull the plugs out after cranking for a while and found them wet. Doe's it have good spark on all cyls, has the timing belt ever been changed

Comment

Sorry guys I was sick just getting back on it in answer to your questions the whole high pressure pump assemble was replaced the whole thing reg and all!! Yest when you crank it for a reasonable amount of time plugs get wet with fuel fuel is good! Seems to have hot spark on all 4 holes! This problem happened once before it was doing this had to be towed in the next day it started right up when the thing was running it ran like a top nice smooth idle! The last time out when it failed again and is still failed it gradually lost power then died started back up once then that's all she wrote! It's weird when you crank it over it puts out exhause like it is trying to start but wont take off!! From what I can tell it should start and run but won't!!!!

Comment

Also motor is really low hours like 130 hours I know there has to be something simple that I am missing here!!!

Comment

O look down the the throttle plate and it looks as new as the day it rolled off the shelf!!! Not a speck of dirt!!!

Comment

The hours of use matter little really, something is broken, and it needs fixing,, whether the motor has 130 hours, or 2,000 hours, it doesn't matter. You say the plugs are wet, are you 100% sure it has good spark? what sort of test equipment do you have? do you have a manual for this motor?

Comment

I am going to suggest the well-known Suzuki "white wire" as a potential and likely culprit.

Check the wiring harness for the White wire that provides power to the engine's ECU. Early days, some dealers incorrectly attached this wire to the starter motor positive terminal, whereas it should be routed directly back to the boat and to the battery or main battery switch positive terminal. Usually via a fuse.

Find this wire and trace it back thru the harness, checking all joints and fuses carefully. Any corrosion at connection points, damaged or corroded wire etc will cause problems like you have experienced. On some motors there is an easy to miss join with bullet connectors in the harness, part way along, in some boats this is under the floor, others it is under the gunwale, depending on how your harness is run. A number of people have found corrosion in that join. Find and check it.

The ECU wants and needs a good solid reliable 12V supply otherwise it will not play the game, or sometimes it will not play it well.

Comment

Can you get hold of a vacuum gauge and a multimeter, and do you know how to use them. Moonlighter the engine is cranking over so I would assume the white wire is still connected to the ignition switch. I think a vacuum test and some voltage drop tests would be the next thing to do.

Comment

df70, 05, not running

If good spark, and getting fuel, but seems to be timing related. Maybe there is a bad wire connector (not making/ or intermittent contact with wire) on crank position sensor, or iac valve? or, at ecu for one of the timing related connections? I've had good clean connectors replaced for no continuity to the wire.
                            Just a thought, good luck.

Comment

Timing

I always thought that it put No 1 piston at top dead center compression stroke, and then check your Timing mark, if they align you could eliminate the timing . Check crank sensor, also what checks have you done to confirm its getting fuel

Comment

Working...
                              X