DF 140 Safe Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF 140 Safe Mode

My DF 140 will not go more than 3000 rpm under load. It only fires on cylinders 2 and 3. Will safety's such as oil pressure, heat or reverse cause this to happen?

safe mode

Are you in Neutral, if so there's a rev limiter.If not you're in safe mode and you should be seeing a error code, some beeps in sequence

Comment

Does it only fire on 2 cylinders at all,times, for example, even when idling? Or does it just cut out 2 cylinders at 3000rpm?

Have you changed anything on the motor recently? Anything changed with fuel tanks, electronics, network etc on the boat recently that might be associated with the timing of this issue arising?

Has it been going fine and this has just suddenly started to happen?

You need to give us a more complete decpscription of what is happening and what you have tried and tested so far, so people can offer more informed suggestions.

Comment

The motor only fires on cylinder 2 and 3 at all times. It was running fine just before this happened. I had it checked by a dealer who said there were no error codes. They suggested that the ECM be replaced but gave me no reason other than they could find nothing wrong elsewhere.

Comment

Checked compression? Any spark to those cylinders?

Comment

Originally posted by Billfishon1205 View Post
            The motor only fires on cylinder 2 and 3 at all times. It was running fine just before this happened. I had it checked by a dealer who said there were no error codes. They suggested that the ECM be replaced but gave me no reason other than they could find nothing wrong elsewhere.
            The ignition coils for one and four and two and three are switched inside the ecu, so you might have a bad ecu. Did the dealer try another coil, do this simple test hook up a test light and connect the clip to ground and turn the key on it should light up on the gray wire and the orange wire. Let us know what you find.

Comment

df140, 2003, not firing on cyl 1 & 4

Billfish, what part of s.c.?
              If the connections for your top coil pack (for cyls 1&4) are good, and coil tests good per the manual, then may be the ecu. Do you have a manual? Have you tested the coil?
              If you paid your dealer to hook it up, shouldn't they test these items? Shouldn't they have also tested the output from the ecu to the 1&4 coil?
              Do you have other Suzuki dealers near you?
              Good luck.keep us posted. Let me know where you're at?
              Last edited by Solarman; 01-28-2015, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Solarman- I am in McClellanville.

Comment

Looks like about two hours North of Beaufort where I am. That's cool.

Comment

How about you do Redlowrey's test??? and let us know what the result is.

Comment

Same deamon

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
                      Checked compression? Any spark to those cylinders?
                      I am having this issue now. 2,3 are firing either one or two cycles (checked on timing light) and then the ecm shuts the cyl. down. I recently had water in the gas, which I replaced and cleaned tank, changed fuel filter and separator. Took to the shop, no codes, couldn't fix. I have battery voltage where I am supposed to. Good compression/leakdown test good. Checked for backfeeding A/C from the rectifier, replaced injectors and put on new coils. Same issue. Is this something that cleaning the VST might help with? I'm stuck at this point. even swapped ecm w/ another and same issue. Any help is appreciated. It is worth noting that this began as an intermittent issue. I would be cruising along and then suddenly loose power. I would shut off engine and restart while still on plane, and carry on smartly with no issues. It has recently presenting as an all the time issue.

Comment

So what you are saying now, that the ecu has shut down spark and fuel to cylinders two and three, how did you test for that.

Can you do a voltage drop test on pin 7 pin 9 and pin 5 with the key on in neutral and post back. If the vst was filling with fuel your engine holder would be way over full and smell like fuel.

Comment

Working...
                        X