2001 DF90 fuel pump intermittent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 DF90 fuel pump intermittent

This engine is driving me nuts. It will start and run for a few minutes, then shuts off. If I tap on the VST it will restart and run again for a few more mins. Eventually will not want to start at all. Fuel pump replaced, fuel regulator replaced, same thing. I can unplug the pump harness and supply 12V directly to the pump, then it will keep running. I have diagnostic software and it shows no codes related to the fuel pump circuits at the present time. Any thoughts?

df90, 01, intermittent fuel pump

I might connect the 12v to pump, start and run while I test for intermittent voltage to the pump connector, then to the computer, to see if voltage is intermittent there (might not show codes if power supply to computer is intermittent?), and continue back tracking till I find what's causing the issue? How old is battery? Is charging system failing? Have you cleaned all battery connections?
    Have you connected to a computer, does your electronics read everything a dealerships computer would?

I'm not as familiar with the electronics on your 4 stroke, but others will respond shortly that are.
    Sorry I can't be of more help. Post everything you can find out, it may help.
    Good luck. Just some thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by tjgator View Post
      This engine is driving me nuts. It will start and run for a few minutes, then shuts off. If I tap on the VST it will restart and run again for a few more mins. Eventually will not want to start at all. Fuel pump replaced, fuel regulator replaced, same thing. I can unplug the pump harness and supply 12V directly to the pump, then it will keep running. I have diagnostic software and it shows no codes related to the fuel pump circuits at the present time. Any thoughts?
      It sounds like it has a break in the wires at the plug, either on the supply side or the earth side, should be easy to find. Because you say when you tap the vst, it keeps running and if you supply battery voltage and I assume the earth it keeps running.

Comment

Intermittent fuel pump

Both replies are actually correct. It turned out that the plug at the fuel pump was not making good contact. I could push sideways on the plugin and the fuel pump would run. I fixed it by taking apart the connector on the wire and pinching the terminals that go to the pump. the only other remedy was a new harness at around $500.00 or try to find a new terminal that would fit the application. Thanks for the suggestions. By the way, even Suzuki factory technicians had no answer to this problem.

Comment

Thnx for responding gator. It helps to know, to help others. Like wise, I think you could have replaced the actual plug connector with new, both sides for much less. I think they sell those connectors? I might be wrong? Anyway, if pushed into it, buy a connector at an auto parts store, as long as watertight (yes, you have to buy both halves) it would work... I hope the Suzuki techs didn't charge you for failing that test. Hate to think they charged you anyway.
          Again thnx for the update.
          Happy boating.
          Last edited by Solarman; 02-13-2015, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X