2007 DF250 CR Prop Shaft Movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 DF250 CR Prop Shaft Movement

I recently took my props off to have them checked and noticed that the prop shaft on my CR outboard moves in and out about a 1/4 of an inch. The other side moves less, maybe about an 1/8 of an inch. Is that too much play? What might need to be done to correct this? It spins freely and doesn't make noise.

Thanks!

Did you tighten them down enough? You may be able to tighten prop nut to next hole for cotter pin?

Post back what you find.

Comment

Originally posted by HydraDuck View Post
      I recently took my props off to have them checked and noticed that the prop shaft on my CR outboard moves in and out about a 1/4 of an inch. The other side moves less, maybe about an 1/8 of an inch. Is that too much play? What might need to be done to correct this? It spins freely and doesn't make noise.

Thanks!
      If it has got a quarter of an inch play in the prop shaft something is not right, are you sure it is the prop shaft, and not the prop moving on the prop shaft.

Comment

by movement I guess you mean in and out, not side to side? movement in and out can vary quite a bit, it has nothing to do with how the prop is installed or how tight it is.

Comment

My apologies, my prop shaft had about 1/4” play in and out with no prop. However, installing the prop and tightening down to first hole, I still have about 1/8” play. If I tighten to the next hole for my cotter pin, then I have no play. It rides just inside the housing lip, and I am not concerned. With the prop off, I expect it to have some play. And, my starboard motor only has 1/8” play, in and out, no prop. Once prop is on and tightened properly, there is no play again. So to me, the play in the prop shaft, can vary, but should not be there, once the props are installed properly.

It does appear that the prop pulls the prop shaft out until it mates with the proper bearing surfaces inside the gear case, at this point the prop and shaft no longer move in and out.

Good luck, let us know how it is once the props are installed.
          Last edited by Solarman; 05-20-2015, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X