2011 DF150 Neutral Safety Switch Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, thanks for the reply....

I can't replace the engine side NSS b/c of logistics. I have no trailer and the boat is in dry stack. I have all the tools I need and the ability to troubleshoot more if I had a trailer.

As soon as I move the handle FWD or REV and back to neutral it starts fine. I just can't imagine it is the ignition or something else other than one of the neutral safety switches or cables but who can say at this point.

Could my new switch be bad? Seems very unlikely. Is there an intermittent short in the starter wiring? Again seems unlikely since I can move the handle and it starts. Is there something about tension on the shift cables when the motor is in a particular disposition - turned port or stbd or something? All these things have run through my mind. But the problem started out of the blue last season, no rigging changed.

All the wiring etc is clean, this is a fresh water boat stored indoors when not in use. It's only even been rained on a couple times. All wiring is enclosed and dry under fiberglass hull with flip-up access so I can get to all of it.

I was thinking maybe the cam on the handle that works the binnacle NSS
    but there's literally no way that could wear down.

I think I need to get the back NSS replaced and have the cables adjusted next. That's the next step before anything else.

Comment

The boat went back to my Suzuki dealer who has an excellent mechanic on staff. He replaced the rear neutral safety switch and adjusted the linkage in his usual very timely and reliable fashion.

The problem has not resurfaced.

The marina owner told me that the replacement switch has a slightly different design than the original, so that the actuator arm on the switch has better contact with the cam on the linkage.

In any case it's fixed now it would seem. I haven't gotten the bill yet but I don't expect it to be very cheap. He's $105 an hour. At least the switch was only $35, plus he's not going to charge me for the boat transportation as he forgot to look at it over the winter.

Comment

Glad to hear it's working well.
        Thanks for the update.
        A shame it costs so much just to put a $35 switch in.

Good luck, happy boating. enjoy it while able.

Comment

Solaman do you get my drift now, two pages of trying to diagnose the most simplest problem you can have on a Suzuki outboard motor.

Comment

nss-rear

hate to say " I told you so". but I told you so,

Comment

Originally posted by redlowrey View Post
              Solaman do you get my drift now, two pages of trying to diagnose the most simplest problem you can have on a Suzuki outboard motor.
              Not sure what this means but I have no on shore facilities to work on the boat myself. Anything I do other than maybe a prop change has to be done either in the water or by someone else. I was trying to avoid the latter, and as we all know the former wasn't an option. I did what I could given the specifics of my situation.

As to those who helped me out, they have my sincere gratitude.

Comment

Originally posted by Solarman View Post
                Glad to hear it's working well.
                Thanks for the update.
                A shame it costs so much just to put a $35 switch in.

Good luck, happy boating. enjoy it while able.
                Thanks for all your assistance. Yeah it sucks I had to get the dealer involved but my hands were tied in this case. Considering the trailer is $4000 plus licensing in IL (and $300-500 yr additional storage too) the repair bill won't seem so much.

Plus the peace of mind knowing that the mechanic who rigged our boat fixed and tested it is worth something.

Comment

Originally posted by missive View Post
                  hate to say " I told you so". but I told you so,
                  Yes you did. And you were right. Thanks for your help it is appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                  X