1996 DT115S ECU / Fuel Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 DT115S ECU / Fuel Problem

Does anyone know how to test an ecu for the fuel pump output? I know that it works from switching the ground on and off. Here is my dilemma. Electric pump wasn't working. I checked voltage with meter and had 12.6 volts. Figured pump was bad and bought another. Same issue with the new pump. Nothing would happen. but if I checked the plug I had voltage. What I found out was the second there was a load put on that circuit it went to 0 volts. It shut right down. There arent any relays or fuses inline. The circuit goes directly to the ecu. I checked the ground for the ecu, even hooked the ground direct to the battery. Still nothing. Any help is greatly appreciated. The lowest price I can find on a new ECU is 1650.00.

What do you mean the second you put load on the circuit it went to nothing. Are you sure your not checking the earth side of the circuit, need more information.

Comment

What I mean by a load is the fuel pump being connected. I even tried a small light bulb to power off the circuit and i get nothing. I put my meter on the terminals of the fuel pump and plugged the pump in. Powered the key "on" and I get 0 volt. If I do the same procedure without the pump plugged in and just the meter on the plug I get a voltage reading.

Comment

Might try googling your ecm part number and item name. Possibly find a used one of a working motor (guaranteed off running motor, say before a rod broke, example).

Are any codes flashing? If overheat sensor is bad, or oil sensor signals no oil, it may cause ecm to shut pump down (can't think of anything that ecm would read to turn pump off though?)?
        Is it possible that power to ecm is being interrupted? Not just to pump? That might indicate something before ecm (kill switch, ignition switch?)

Good luck, let us know if you find anything.

Comment

May have ground problems for ecm. Check & clean grounds.

Comment

I checked and cleaned all grounds. They were all quite clean. I even grounded ecu directly to the battery. Still nothing. I am leaning towards bad ecu but i wanted to see if anyone else experienced this before.

Comment

I still think you are checking the ground side of the fuel pump. Remove the plug from the fuel pump and hook a low powered test light to battery positive, and connect the probe to the plug wire and turn the key on, if the test light lights up the ecu is putting the ground on. I think you have lost battery positive from the other wire. In most fuel injected engines battery voltage is supplied via a relay, to the fuel pump. In Suzuki's through a thirty amp fuse then to the power relay to the fuel pump then to earth in the ecu.

Comment

Originally posted by redlowrey View Post
                I still think you are checking the ground side of the fuel pump. Remove the plug from the fuel pump and hook a low powered test light to battery positive, and connect the probe to the plug wire and turn the key on, if the test light lights up the ecu is putting the ground on. I think you have lost battery positive from the other wire. In most fuel injected engines battery voltage is supplied via a relay, to the fuel pump. In Suzuki's through a thirty amp fuse then to the power relay to the fuel pump then to earth in the ecu.
                Where is this relay? I have been searching & cant find it. My fuel pump never shuts off.

Comment

Working...
                X