1998 DT 140 warning beep issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 DT 140 warning beep issue

Been reading this forum for the last week and am not able to find a solution to my engine troubles.
    New to me boat. EFI engine. Previous owner let it sit for 3 years and assured me engine ran fine when the boat was last used(had a heart attack). I believe him. Have engine up and running. Cranks and idles great while running on hose. I have a warning beep every seven seconds and the rev, temp, and oil lights come on. Engine cuts out but starts right back up. No misses just dies. Sometimes the rpms will go up and down about a hundred or two while idling also. Been to two shops with no fix. New shops nowadays are parts changers not mechanics.
    Here is what I have done:
    Cleaned oil tank and replaced oil flow sensor. Oil level sensor is good. Verified the oil injection is working.
    Replaced everything on the fuel supply even cleaned the main tank and vst tank. New hoses filters ect. Both pumps working good. Vst tank stays full.
    New spark plugs
    Checked thermostat- opens fine
    Waterpump is good
    battery voltage is good and all connections cleaned
    gear counting coil reads 219 ohm between and on a tooth
    Have unplugged the water temp sensor oil sensor oil tank sensor with no change.
    I water tested boat will run up to 4200 rpms but cuts out then 2 seconds later comes back with warning beep and all 3 lights on. No miss at any time. Other than this issue the engine runs very well. No Suzuki MECHANICS in my area. Please help I'm at a dead end.
    Last edited by Loudmouse; 07-01-2015, 07:55 PM. Reason: needed to add efi

What code does the monitor flash, it should be two sequences of flashes, then repeats itself. The key only needs to be switched to the first position, then count the flashes on the monitor.

When you cleaned the vst, was it bad? Did you clean the small screen inside the hose at bottom of vst? Did you check temp of motor, or water temp of pee stream when the monitor said temp warning?

Do you have a manual for your motor?

Post back when you check out these few things?
    Last edited by Solarman; 07-02-2015, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Read this post

http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/s...questions.html

Comment

Blueskies, not my model.
        Solarman, No manual but will check for codes today. Been about 3 weeks since last time I checked but there was no codes then. The VST tank wasn't too bad but the needle was froze from the fuel drying out. Fixed that. Screens were clean. The warning beep starts when u fire the engine and its cold. Thanks for the replies. Will post back after work today.
        Last edited by Loudmouse; 07-02-2015, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Just checked codes b4 work and no codes. Thanks for your help as I really appreciate it.

Comment

Ok, the gear counting coil should fluctuate readings, when on/off a tooth. Make sure it's close enough to flywheel, it shouldn't touch, but has to read each tooth.

My 99's (dt140's), beep when key is first turned on, and if stalls, or if temp (constant repeated beeps- until motor cools), and low oil.

Does motor go above 4200 RPMs? Or, is that where everything starts limiting RPMs, and acting up?

Post back.

Comment

Gear coil does fluctuate if you turn by hand fast enough to go past a few teeth. If I go slow it changes a little but settles to 219 in both locations. Turn key on and get kinda long beep. Crank engine and about 7 secs later get the warning beep and all 3 lights come on while the engine is cold. When I water tested the engine seems to stay about 4000 to 4200 rpms max. But constantly cuts out every 7 to 10 secs while running with the horn going off (about 2 or 3 sec long) every 7 secs. When the engine cuts out it goes from running very smooth to a sudden loss of all power and then right back to where it was. Other than the limited rpms, horn, and cutting out the engine runs great. I am sure it is electrical. Thanks
              Last edited by Loudmouse; 07-02-2015, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Can't remember, but think there is a limit at 4k for something?

Might be stator, charging coils at upper RPMs?
                Well try to read up and see if I find it?

will let you know if I do? Post back if you find anything.

Comment

Thanks for your help. Would like to be able to test the stator and other electronics but don't have a manual yet. I feel as if its a sensor or something simple because it runs smooth. Thanks

Any other suggestions to try?
                  Last edited by Loudmouse; 07-05-2015, 11:26 AM.

Comment

I THINK might have figured it out. I changed plugs 3 months ago and they were out of resistor plugs so crossed number over to non resistor plug. This was a bad choice on my part. Tomorrow I will put lower unit back on and see if it still cuts out. Engine now has NGK BR8HS-10 plugs. Fingers crossed to an end of a 3 month long problem. http://www.justanswer.com/boat/946sl...html#re.v/172/ This post was exactly my problem.

Changed plugs and engine runs good with no warning beeps. Doesn't cut out either. Hope this helps someone else. Resistor plugs are a must fot the Suzuki engine.
                    Last edited by Loudmouse; 07-10-2015, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X