DT55 coil pack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT55 coil pack

Can anyone help me out? how do i test the coil pack on my 1998 DT55? thanks in advance.
    Last edited by hotdog; 02-03-2018, 03:43 AM.

5B678518-2A86-453F-9526-A5AFD9897F38.png

Not your motor.

Comment

What's your serial number? What problems are you having that might point to the cdi?

Comment

Thanks for the reply, serial no. is 05501-861731, i was having trouble with starting the engine after it had been running , i was out at sea and had been running the engine for about 30mins, stopped to do a bit fishing then went to start it again after 10mins and it took around 10mins to start. I have changed sparks fuel line ect. so i want to check the ignition coils next, thanks again for your time.

Comment

Ok, here is a good example of errors in age of motors.
          your serial number 05501-861731, indicates it is either a 1988, because 05501-8xxxxx, not a 1990 year motor. However, it could be a 1998 year motor, because serial numbers were 05501-86xxxx? The only way to be sure would be a pic of the model/ serial plate.

Good luck, post back when able to let us know. You should get a manual, because the gear counting coil, throttle valve sensor, overheat & oil flow sensors, ignition sensors, fuel pump, and/or carbs would be my first items to test/ inspect.

If your motor is a 1988, then the CDI is a possible culprit, but i would rule out all of the above items before buying anything not needed.

Good luck.

Comment

yeah thanks again, just checked its a 1998 model

Comment

Does it have carbs, or EFI system (no carbs)??

Post back when able.

Comment

it has carbs, i have a manual on a disc and have checked the coil resistance according to the manual using a multimeter, now the manual says they must have a resistance between 0.1 and 0.3, mine just read 0.0 on all three! is this good or bad? and if bad is it possible to have three faulty coils?

Comment

Also a good example of not giving enough information for us to give useful advice. If the motor re-started I'm not sure why you think the coils are bad, I would review the hot re-start procedure in the owners manual and let us know if that clears it up.

Comment

I would say you're reading the coils incorrectly, or using the wrong setting on your ohm meter. Because your motor does run, if I'm not mistaken? It would not run at all if all three coils are bad. You should have two readings for your coils. The primary side - low voltage side, and the secondary side - high voltage to plug. Both sides have a resistance reading.
                    If your disc doesn't show you the readings and how to check coils on both sides, you should google how to check your coils on the internet.

Good luck, post back when able.

Comment

ok thanks again will check again when i get home from work, just there are only 2 wires leading from the coil and one that leads to the plug, according to the manual you can check the resistance across the 2 primary wires? i am new to all this so forgive my ignorance! yeah the engine does run, i will also check how to review the hot restart too, thanks again.

Comment

ok so checked again with multimeter on the primary side, tried all settings but just the same reading 0.0, however i checked the secondary side and i got 2.3 on number one plug and two and three were 1.2 and 1.3, according to the manual they should be between 1.9 and 2.7, should i change these coils?

Comment

for the secundary side , dit you disconnect the spark plug cap ?? inside them is a resister which is often the problem.

and while running , does it run good??
                          Last edited by pniksnut; 02-03-2018, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, no I never removed the cap as it seems to have a sealant around it but I will remove them and try again, it runs pretty good just when restarting when warm seems to be an issue .

Comment

Working...
                            X