California boat inspection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California boat inspection

We have a mussel problem here and in order to launch there must not be any water coming from the motor when they raise and lower it. Does anyone know how to make this happen? It seems no matter how many times I raise and lower it, dry it off, there is still a drop or two that comes out of the intakes when I get to the lake. Thanks in advance for any tips you might have. I have a 2002 DF50

You mean fuel out of your intake instead of water? It's a bit cryptic to me what you mean exactly
    Regards, Martin
    DF200 2007

Comment

If Kalifornia is that picky about a few drops of water, I'd just get the heck out of there! I know of no way to prevent those last few drops of water. Don't think there is a way.
      Mike
      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

read the rule carefully. buy their permit
        then keep a log book

where you have been. but most importantly show that you flush the engine each time and of any water comes out at an inspection is from your house tap water
        besides, the log book is also very handy in keeping track of all the maintence items and write down the engine hours at the end of each event

most importantly - know the rules so some inspector doesn’t add a rule
        art
        Last edited by artdf175; 02-12-2018, 10:32 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

I've been told unless the last lake I went to is the one I'm getting inspected for (which they will give you sheet saying your ok) that any water will make you fail the inspection including rain in your boat or water from flushing. Someone on a different site suggested compressed air which I'm gonna try tomorrow. Thanks for the reply's tho. As far as I know its just for the san francisco bay area, these inspections, which hopefully I will get out of someday :-)

Comment

Originally posted by tommybe1 View Post
            I've been told unless the last lake I went to is the one I'm getting inspected for (which they will give you sheet saying your ok) that any water will make you fail the inspection including rain in your boat or water from flushing. Someone on a different site suggested compressed air which I'm gonna try tomorrow. Thanks for the reply's tho. As far as I know its just for the san francisco bay area, these inspections, which hopefully I will get out of someday :-)
            You might try a shop vac at the water intakes while you crank the motor with the kill switch open. This will move some water from water jackets and water pump that is being held.
            I feel your pain as I am in CA but only fish the Delta from my dock and the same local launch ramp.

Comment

You will ruin the impeller if you run it dry. I don’t think there is a method to dry out the entire water system 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by Murray View Post
                You will ruin the impeller if you run it dry. I don’t think there is a method to dry out the entire water system 100%.
                Don't run the motor just crank it a bit with the kill switch open. Enough water in the system to lubricate the impeller at such low RPM. but will always have water in the system.
                Just needs to not drip while being inspected, this is California yah know.....

Comment

Just cranking the engine over with a dry impeller can damage it, doesn't take but a couple seconds if dry to shred an impeller. That's why "always water on" before turning motor over to start is wise.

Do they have a "safe" water flush tank/provision that would remove any contaminated water from motors prior to entering?

Seems they should provide this service if so concerned with cross contamination?

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                  X