No announcement yet.

Suzuki C10 MFD on a 2007 DF300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The white plug in post #28 is the trim plug on a second EIC I have. I have two lying around. This loose one is the older of the two I think, as it still has the old blue connectors.

So I have four items running into the boat through the rigging grommet. One is the battery cables. Second is the fuel line. Third is the three loose wires tapped in for the trim (which looks like a bit of a hack job, but has worked flawlessly for a decade so...).

The fourth is some sort of harness I am not sure about. Under the cowling, it's wrapped in electrical tape where it comes off the main engine harness. It's all wrapped in electrical tape all the way into the starboard cable boot. It branches off a four wire plug and a little double fuse holder before continuing to the grommet. From the outboard to the starboard cable boot, it is all wrapped in electrical tape. Again, this looks a little hokey to me. I don't think it's factory Suzuki. I know this boat outboard was hung at the dealer not the manufacturer, and I think this is the dealer's workmanship. Once in the starboard compartment, It branches off to a double plug and another weather pack with a whole pile of wires. From there it joins the rest of the factory rigging and comes out under the console. It is under the console that the EIC connects to the harness, not at the outboard. I've included photos of everything below.

So I'm kind lost how to proceed here. I could run the EIC right to the outboard, but I don't see any plugs under the cowling to connect it to. I'm going to go back under the console tomorrow night and have a good look around for a trim plug there, because that is far and away the easiest solution to my issue. Nothing has jumped out at me in the past though. I know I had trim reading years ago. I wish I could remember how...
    Attached Files

Comment

I am confused - my understanding was that following earlier discussions, you have the network up and running, and all digital data is showing on the gauges?

Is that not correct? So what is the actual problem you have?

The main engine harness will have to run from the engine and up to the throttle controls and then to behind the dash for gauge or interface connection.

So logic says that this is the 4th group of wires going thru the grommet and back to the engine and up to the dash and controls. Maybe sometime in the past the PO had issues with corrosion in the harness and replaced it with a homemade version?

There are 2 main connectors (plugs) from the ecu that can be connected to the main harness that goes back to the boat.

One (the one that is normally connected up at the factory) is for analogue gauges.

The other one that we call the SDS plug, is where the harness can be changed to in order for digital data to go thru the harness up to the dash, where the EIC can be connected. It is the same plug used by the mechanic to connect their laptop to for engine daignostics etc.

On older engines, generally you couldnt send digital data to the dash via the harness as I have just described. In those early days of SMIS gauges, what you had to do was run a SDS adapter cable from the SDS plug, back thru the rigging tube, and connect the EIC to the adapter cable there and then to its T.

This put the EIC and its T down the back of the boat and even in the bilge area! Some people then did the smart thing, and extended the adapter cable so it would reach up to the dash, so the interface could be connected up there, and the EIC and all the T’s could be kept up there where its clean, cool and dry. Smart move. Very.

Why I understand the desire to have things look neat and tidy and factory original, if its working now, why mess with it? If you do decide to do something, the most sensible thing would probably be to buy a complete new harness and install that. You would want to get a complete wiring diagram before you start.
      Last edited by Moonlighter; 04-08-2019, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Everything appears to be working except the trim/tilt reading. That hasn't worked for some time, and is what I am trying to fix. I'm also in the middle of changing my rigging as I have a bunch of wires in my splash well I'm trying to clean up (see the attachment). I am the original owner of the boat, and nothing significant has been changed since I have owned the boat. It's used exclusively on freshwater lakes and up until the last season has been stored inside a heated shop whenever it wasn't being used, so corrosion hasn't been an issue.

Your explanation of the SDS rigging on older outboards (mine is a 2007) seems to fit what I have in my boat. I think I will hunt for the trim connector under my console and end my little project there if I cannot find it. I will move the wiring harness under the splash well and through a rigging tube regardless. I've already assessed that and it's a simple matter of unplugging and re-plugging two connectors. Rerouting the three trim wires will require cutting and splicing, but that's a minor project. Thanks Grant.
        Attached Files

Comment

Alright. Crawled under the console and took some pictures tonight. My explanation of what I see runs like this. I have a Suzuki Engine Interface Cable running from my backbone to what I call an adapter harness. The adapter harness then plugs into the main harness that comes from the transom. I'm going to break the pictures up into each of the cables. The pictures attached to this post are for the Engine interface Cable. The tag shows the model number. I also have a second EIC with an older blue plug. The last pictures is the EIC on the bottom, plugged into the adapter harness on top.
          Attached Files

Comment

Connecting the EIC to the main harness from the engine is what I am calling an "adapter harness". It's around a foot long, with a large round 8 pin connector for the EIC on one end, and a square 6 pin connector on the other end. The odd thing is that even though the EIC has wires into 7 of the 8 pins on its connector, this adapter only has three wires on it...white, grey, and black. The adapter hardness also has two wires taped up. It appears these two wires are offshoots of the grey and black wires, as there appears to be solder and shrink wrap in the body of the adapter harness. Note that at the EIC end of the adapter harness next to the plug is a silver Suzuki tag with CENTER ENGINE on it.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Albertan; 04-08-2019, 10:55 PM.

Comment

The last part under the console is the main harness from the outboard. The wires for the EIC come from the part of the harness that is run to the key and start button. Only three wires come off the main harness...black, white and grey...these are carried forward by the adapter harness to the EIC plug in my NMEA network. I'm not sure how the three wires from the engine harness are talking to the seven or so wires in my EIC. Do you happen to have the pin outs for the EIC Grant? I can't find my Service Manual, so I have another one on the way from Brown's Point.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Albertan; 04-08-2019, 10:57 PM.

Comment

So looking at Browns Point's web site, it looks like I have a single engine adapter and a SMIS Engine interface cable. I feel better that this seems to be the way it is supposed to be. I'm hoping if I don't get an answer here, that calling Browns Point's tech line will be able to sort it out. The engine adapter cable has no plug for the trim switch, so maybe the trim connector on the EIC is only for smaller outboards where it is connected directly to the outboard.

Comment

The plot thickens. After all this work, it looks like the harness is ok, based on the EIC Installation Manual... https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc...ace_Manual.pdf . It says the trim plug doesn't need to be connected on the DF 300...
                  Attached Files

Comment

All engine data is sent via 1 wire in the adapter cable/interface cable.

The other 2 wires that are used are power + and batt negative. I dont know what the 4th wire in the interface cable does.

Typlcal colours of red and black for the power wires (or variants thereof with stripes). I recall that either the yellow or white is for the data.

So adapter cable only needs and uses 3 wires.

Trim data on all A series engines and newer goes via the main engine harness, so the 2 pin plug on the EIC isnt used.

I didnt know aout the early DF300 not using the 2 pin plug, and instead sending trim data up the main harness. Learn something new every day!

You should be able to get it working in that case. Go into the network menu, device list, select the Suzuki device. There should be an option to configure. Open that, then there should be a durther option to calibrate trim. Follow the prompts from there.

Comment

Aye, I'll try to configure the cable I have. I am also going to get an adapter so that I can connect my old EIC with the blue NMEA plug. I have a feeling that is the one I was using when I used to get trim readings. Getting close I think!

Comment

Every now and then this boat throws me a bone. I went out to try the old EIC tonight as I had an adapter for the old blue connectors. First I I reconnected everything with the current EIC and powered up the DF300 and its controls to record some info before switching in the old blue-connector EIC. Then I fired up the NMEA network and the Carbon 16. I went into the network menu and started looking at the EIC's data. Low and behold, it was registering a trim value. So I took it through it's range and sure enough everything is working. Checked on the LMF gauges and everything looked good. Went to the Instruments Page on the Carbon and sure enough trim is working there too. So somehow, in disconnecting and reconnecting every possible connection between the outboard and the NMEA backbone, the trim function started working again. I could ask how, but I don't even care. That was the last electronics issue I had, and I'm stoked to put it behind me.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi there, just found this forum. I have a 2008 DF140 with analogue multifunction Tachometer and wonder if this instrument is connceted to the serviceport on the engine? If yes, will I be able to loop into the connector with a NMEA2000 kit to connect it to an SIMRAD NSS? Also, is it pooosible to exchange the analogue instruemnt with something like the C10 digital instrument? Thanks:-)

Comment

Originally posted by ivestfold View Post
                            Hi there, just found this forum. I have a 2008 DF140 with analogue multifunction Tachometer and wonder if this instrument is connceted to the serviceport on the engine? If yes, will I be able to loop into the connector with a NMEA2000 kit to connect it to an SIMRAD NSS? Also, is it pooosible to exchange the analogue instruemnt with something like the C10 digital instrument? Thanks:-)
                            Please read the info on this thread and the documents attached to the first post.

It was written specially to assist people who want to do exactly what you want to do. Come back and ask questions for clarification after that if necessary.

https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...a2000-networks

Comment

Allright, thanks a lot so far.

Comment

I have a 2005 DF225, I wanted to add a starting key switch to have a starting key on the outside console, and one inside the cabin. I bought a Suzuki switch kit. I wired the switch as it is color coded to the original switch. I can star the engine form outside only when the inside key is on. Is there away so that the outside switch will operate independently from the inside switch?

Comment

Working...
                                X