Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

That part that was melted -I had the same issue
      Did you pull separate the oil pan from the block?
      The only other place I can see a gasket between the water and oil is where these two parts meet
      The water from the pump / through the tube fitting on the bottom of the oil pan
      Runs into a sleeve around the exhaust port
      Is there any possibility this was breached?
      Last edited by artdf175; 10-19-2016, 12:08 PM.

Comment

I just dont see any corrosion to speak of in any of the well known areas so I cant believe that there would be any there. The pan looks pristine as does the exhaust passage. I put a mirror inside the pan and inspected it thoroughly and it looks perfect as well. I filled each combustion chamber and let them sit over night and there was no leak there. I hate not being able to identify where the intrusion was coming from but just cant find any noticeable bad spot. I hope it was the head gasket even though there is no indication that it was bad. Water was getting in the bottom two cylinders from somewhere but I cant find it. I guess I will see once all the gaskets come in and I put it back together. Wish me luck lol

Comment

Good luck Keep good notes
          Art

Comment

I found where it was leaking on both the #3 and #4 cylinders. The exhaust valve guides seem to be letting water past or there is a crack between them. I cant see one if it is a crack. It may just be the guides themselves have worked loose and are letting fluid by. They are not loose to the touch and I can not move them by hand but if I fill the exhaust up it leaks past into the cooling chamber rapidly on those two cylinders. 1 and 2 are fine and thats kind of odd since I would think that it running hot would probably have caused this and the highest cylinders are always the hottest since its harder to pump water to the top cylinders. I am not sure if I should consider having a machine shop look into installing new guides or not. I may just keep an eye out for a good used head. Regardless I am just glad to have found it before spending a bunch of money on parts to put it back together. Thanks for the help

Comment

Glad you found the source
              Good luck on finding a used head I have only heard that parts like this are difficult to come by - Then you probably will have to rebuild it anyway
              If yours is repairable it could end up being more economic to have a machinist rebuild it for you
              Mine got rebuilt but for other reasons
              Art

Comment

Looking at that picture of your back yard , you must be in the southern states of Australia. Mate that is an ugly engine, did you pressure test the head and see the water coming around the outside of the guides, That engine has been neglected good luck.

Comment

Working...
                X